Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $20 apiece lower case bolts?

Hello,
    Why do the 6 bolts that secure the upper case to the lower case cost $20 per bolt? Has anyone a less expensive substitute that worked for them? When I disassembled mine it was missing 2 on the port engine. Also missing was the longer bolt that is accessed once the trim tab is removed.
    Thanks

Personally, I wouldn't hesitate to use SS bolts. If you don't already know the sizes, just take them to a local hardware store and match them up. Put some Tef-Gel or Mercury's Perfect Seal (or similar) on the threads and you're good to go.
    2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
    1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

Do you know if the stock bolts are an alloy or stainless?

Comment

Originally posted by metroman View Post
        I believe they’re some kind of stainless/alloy….since mine do discolor some in salt water….I would’nt hesitate to use some good hardware store stainless steel bolts….Ace Hardware carries a good selection of nuts, bolts, fasteners, etc…

Comment

Originally posted by metroman View Post
          I don't know, offhand - possibly it's dependent on what year/model you have, as well? But it doesn't matter - SS is fine.

However, you should be able tell by the weight of the bolt in your hand.
          2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
          1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

I thought SS was an alloy of metals

Comment

They're 20 bucks because when mechanics work on your boat they generally use Yam parts and Yam says so. If you want to dig even deeper, why does a 1/8 inch diameter, 4-inch piece of fuel line cost 70 bucks? A ninety-degree bend costs 69 dollars. It's nuts.
              Last edited by oldmako69; 09-07-2021, 02:09 PM.

Comment

Ace is the place. A couple of bucks apiece.

Comment

Working...
                X