Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New to me Mako 285 with twin 1990 200hp.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to me Mako 285 with twin 1990 200hp.

Hello,
    New member looking for the best way to start twin 200hp TRP motors that have not run in two years. So far I have gotten the steering and tilt trim working along with pulling the plugs and spraying fogging oil into the cylinders. Any tips on what needs to be done to the carburetors before starting? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Hope you turned the motors by hand when plugs were out be easy on the rings. You didn’t say if you just got the boat or you laid it up for two years? Change oil in lower units if you have any signs of condemnation pressure and vacuum test lower unis. Change water pumps or at least impellors you don’t want piece of broken off rubber getting into the cooling passages. After you get it running you can run salt away through it or pull thermostats before and bench check them. Check temp sensors. After you get it running pull the plugs and see what they look like if any are nice and clean your getting water into the cylinder. Now the big issue is fuel two years is a long time even if the fuel was stabilized for now, I wound pull the hoses to the carbs (using fresh gas in a portable tank) pump fuel lines clean with fresh gas replace filters. At first run motors on a portable tank incase there are any issues your search area is narrowed down. Dump all fuel in built in tank flush lines. use the gas in your car in small amounts. As for the carbs if you know about carbs it would be great to clean them up if not try running the motors and see what happens. Good luck happy boating

Comment

Thanks for the tips Bluefish. It did not occur to me to pull the thermostats. I had planned on starting it using fresh gas in portable tanks. I bought this from someone who knew the owner. He bought it off the estate of his late friend. He decided he didn't want to fool with it and bought a new boat so I got a good deal on this. I could use some advice as far as a good shop service manual to buy and a good place to buy parts, aftermarket versus genuine Yamaha, etc... . Again thanks Bluefish for the advice and I will be posting my progress. A quick PS, only the starboard engine key was provided. Any tips on the best replacement, new ignition switch, used parts in the central Florida area, bypass it at least temporarily with a toggle switch and starter button? Thanks again in advance for any tips.

Comment

Yamaha service manual, look at the top sticky and find the one for your motors
        Yamaha Outboard Forum - Yamaha Outboard Parts Forum

and for parts click on the Red Yamaha parts link at the top of the page to find your motor and its parts

Comment

Thanks 99yam40

Comment

Sometimes you can find originals on ebay for pretty cheap (mine wasn't available on ebay). Without that key code, you will have to call mother Yamaha with your Hull number or possibly a number off the engine to get the key number. Here are some pictures of my YH52 spare keys. Click to expand...

How to get a set of spare keys for cheap | JetBoaters.net ...

jetboaters.net/threads/how-to-get-a-set-of-spare-keys-for-…
            i

Comment

I checked the sticky for manuals and found that my motor model SX200TXRX is not listed. I found LX200TXRX, L200TXRX, S200TXRX, all 1999 models.
              Has anyone seen this type of discrepancy before? Will I have a problem ordering parts?

Comment

Working...
              X