Adjusting Shift Linkage on 2008 F9.9

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adjusting Shift Linkage on 2008 F9.9

I recently removed the lower unit on my son's 2008 F9.9 Fourstroke to find why there wasn't any water coming out the weep hole when running. Turned out ther was nothing wrong with the impeller, but only an obstruction in the line to the cooling water manifold.
    When reinstalling the lower unit, I apparently reconnected the shift linkage incorrectly, because when I put the boat in the water, and shifted into reverse to back away, I got no reverse. the RPMs climb appropriately as I move the engine control aft, but no reverse thrust.
    In Neutral, I'm getting forward thrust, and in Forward, everything works fine up to full throttle. If I clunk it into reverse, it in fact goes to Neutral, zero thrust.
    I read the Service manual, which says to screw the nut onto the shaft 5 turns. That yields the results I described above. So I put the shifter into remote so I could see/adjust the upper nut, and I ran it all the way up and down the threaded shaft going into the lower unit, in increments of about 1/8 inch, and tested the shifting action at each point.
    The result is the same in all positions. When I put it in Neutral, there is forward thrust, and I cannot get any reverse. Forward works fine.
    Did I misinterpret the Service Manual? Should I have removed the long nut on the upper shaft going to the shift linkage, then reinstalled it to the invisible shaft above 5 full turns? Or does that nut just turn freely on the upper shaft, as I have been assuming?
    Help! I'm baffled, and feel like an idiot. Can anybody help?
    Muldoon

It is best to shift the motor into reverse before removing the jam nut, the barrel nut and then the lower unit. Don't mess with the shift mechanism on either the motor or the lower unit and it will all go back together properly.

Remove the lower unit. Put the shift handle into reverse gear. Then, put the lower unit into reverse gear.

Reinstall the lower unit. Rotate the barrel nut so that it is centered on both shift pieces. Run the jam nut down until it interfaces with the barrel nut. Restrain the barrel nut from turning while tightening the jam nut against the barrel nut.

Put the motor back into neutral. It should all work correctly now.

Comment

Right on!

Your description was right on! I went down to a local Marine Store, and talked with their very experienced mechanic. His description of the correct actions to take was exactly the same as yours.
      My misconception was that the barrel nut was an adjustment, rather than a connection. The concept to understand (it seems so logical now) is that you match the lower unit in reverse with the remote lever in reverse, then make the connection, and lock it down with the jam nut.
      Thank you for your spot on response. I really appreciate that you took the time to help a stranger. Bravo Zulu!
      Muldoon

Comment

Working...
      X