Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oil leak on a 2007 HPDI 175 HP (VZ175TLR)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil leak on a 2007 HPDI 175 HP (VZ175TLR)

I have a 2007 HPDI that has 2 stroke oil leak coming form where the lower unit and mid section meet. The motor runs great at idle and WOT. The day after i fish i find a small amount of oil coming out of the midsection and where the lower unit meet and drips down on to the motor tote. I have had it in the shop and they cant find anything wrong and feel its excess oil that didn't burn off. There is no oil under the cowling and the mechanic said its the cleanest 2007 he has ever seen. Motor is tilted up and it takes until the next day to show its self. There is not a lot of oil, i can wipe it off with my finger but i feel there has to be something wrong because it never use to to this. It also smokes a lot more on the first couple of start ups at the beginning of the day. Any help will be much appreciated!

Don’t sound like you’ve got a big problem….but double check under the cowling for any obvious leaks…

Comment

is the oil running down the drive shaft?
      drop the lower unit and inspect
      if it is maybe a bad oil pump seal
      Is it clean 2 stroke oil or dark colored?

​​​​​​​are you sure it is not lower gear lube?

Comment

I'm taking it back to the shop tomorrow to get them to drop the lower unit and check the drive shaft. It is for sure unburnt 2 cycle oil.

Comment

No sign of any oil under the cowling.

Comment

The oil is running down the drive shaft. It is clean 2 stroke oil. Mechanic seems it may be a seal below the bearing that the driveshaft goes thru? Again any help is greatly appreciated!!

Comment

I do not know much about that motor, but from what I understand on most oil injected Yamaha's the oil pump is driven off of a gear on the drive shaft.
              Is it possible that there is an o ring or other seal on the oil pump that could leak oil in the direction of the drive shaft?

Comment

I did mention to them today that people have had that issue. I told them to pull the lower unit and confirm that the seal on the driveshaft is bad if not check seal on the oil pump. Do you know if either one would rob the motor of getting the proper amount of oil while running or is this something that could destroy the motor? Thank you for your imformation!

Comment

I am not sure if the oil leaking from the oil pump would be from what was headed to the cylinders and reduce that getting to them or not.
                  maybe someone else will drop in and comment on this

Comment

Working...
                  X