15Hp carb problem solved

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 15Hp carb problem solved

In my previous post I was seeking advice on my troublesome 1998 15Hp Yamaha , that I bought from my neighbor for next - to-nothing as he gave up the battle and wasn't prepared to spend any more money on such an old model.
    I suspected that it was running way too rich as all the symptoms were there, I.e. excessive smoking, excessive unburnt fuel in the water, and the engine had no power, although it started easily and was idling smoothly. My local outboard mechanic thought it could be dirt or something that was restricting the air flow through the carb, so we gave it another thorough cleanout, but to no avail.. I had already got quotes to replace the complete carb with a brand new one, so the little devil behind my ear said to me, why don't you first stuff this one up completely. So this is what I tried to do: Took my 75W solder iron and soldered up the little hole in the main jet. I then took a needle and made a new, smaller hole though the jet, put the carb back on the engine, back into the water for the ump****th time...... guess what? It took off like a rocket ..... problem solved.
    The main jet is #136 and there is no sign of wear or damage. So my next step will be to either order a brand new main jet from the dealers or invest in a good quality fealer gauge to make sure my home-made main jet is up to spec.

I found out after a year or so that someone had drilled out the main jets of my used C40.
    I never could find any info on the size of holes in jets according to the jet number,
    so I bought just one and then compared the holes with small drill bits.
    sure enough a bit that fit into an old jet would not fit into the new one.
    bought new ones for all 3 carbs and the motor started running without the high speed miss

I recommend buying a new jet so you know for sure it is correct size

only thing that pointed me to too rich at high speed was running without cowling and silencer on into the wind got rid of the miss.
    running with the wind it showed back up

updating your other thread would be a good idea
    maybe asking a Mod to merge both threads
    Last edited by 99yam40; 08-21-2021, 09:08 AM.

Comment

99Yam40, if the jet size is for instance #140 it means 1.40 mm

Comment

Working...
      X