gas tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gas tank

Greetings I have a 40 HP Yamaha outboard. Hasn't been used in 3 or 4 years. Installed new plugs and gas. I cannot pressurize the tank. replaced tank, hoses and fittings, Still no luck. must be a problem with the fitting on the engine or beyond. must be a valve stuck open somewhere. any thoughts?

How are you trying to pressurize the tank?
    And why are you trying to pressurize it?

Post your motor model # so we have an idea of what motor you have.

Comment

Its a remote tank connected to the engine by fuel lines that have connecting fittings on both ends. one fitting connects to the tank and the other connects to the engine. between the two fittings is a bulb with an arrow which I believe shows the gas flow. the bulb is squeezed until it become hard and indicates the the remote tank is pressurized. This what Ive alwas done. The engine will fire but not run which I suspect iw because it is notgetting gas.
      The model number I don't have because the boat and engine are at my cabin. will locate numbers this coming weekrnd and reply if important
      Hope this helps

Comment

The primer bulb is just a one-way, hand operated pump to prime the fuel system...not to pressurize the fuel tank.

Comment

OK But when I squweeze the bulb on the gas line it never gets hard like it always has before which indicates to me that there must be a leak somewhere in the line. am I wrong

Comment

Make sure that the arrow on the primer ball points in the direction of the motor. The arrow indicates the direction of fuel flow.

Hold the primer ball in your hand with the arrow pointed up. This helps the internal check valves within the primer ball to do their job. Pump and see what happens. It should get firm within four or five pumps. As you pump you should feel fuel flow through the ball.

Make sure that the vent to the tank is open by the way.

Comment

Thanks for the tip. I will try it this weekend when I go to my cabin. I should tell you that three neighbors who all have remote tanks and squeeze bulbs have tried it and all agree that something is not right. There is no valve to open on the cap that goes on to the tank, the new one or the old one. Also in my original message I indicated wrongly that the engine was 40 HP. It is 30 HP.
              thank you for responding

Comment

Assuming this is an older style gas tank, maybe crack open the fill cap by about 1/4 turn to allow venting....the new government/EPA tanks don't vent to atmosphere to prevent all us boater's from polluting the world with gas fumes....maybe your primer bulb needs replacing?...

Comment

Working...
                X