Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intermittent knocking/tapping sound at WOT

Hello,
    I have a 2008 f20ESH and am having an issue WHEN running at WOT. About a month ago I started having difficulty starting the outboard. I cleaned the carb and replaced spark plugs l and did some annual stuff; oil change, lower unit oil, impeller. So it now starts up great, and runs great and honestly seems to be a little faster top end but it could have just been the conditions of the water. The problem I am having is that at WOT, I intermittently hear a slight knock or tap sound. Not any certain rhythm or cadence and when I let off the throttle even the slightest amount it goes away however I didn’t notice any loss of speed or stuttering when I heard the knocking. I have been reading some other forums and quite a few people have said that the rev limiter on that outboard will almost pop if you reach the top end. Is it plausible that this sound is really the rev limiter or do I have another issue? It doesn’t really sound like predetination to me and the sound is kind of hard to explain. Anyways. Thanks guys for your help.

get a tach and see what RPMs it is running at WOT

Comment

Working...
    X