X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 50tlrb

SEND HELP

boat won’t go over 2500rpms

Might be a coincidence but some days it works and some it seems to not.

Put it in a bucket last night, let it idle for 10 mins.
    Pulled spark boot off cylinder 1, no loss of RPM.
    Pulled spark boot from cylinder 2, no loss of RPM
    At this point, I have 2 plugs removed and the third plug is the only one on.
    Pulled spark boot from cylinder 3, stalled out.

what the bleep is happening.
    rebuilt carbs 2 times, there’s gas in the bowls, each cylinder has spark. Compression test is good

where should someone send help to?

do all cylinders have good compression?
    and do they all have good spark to the plugs?

Comment

Send help, prayers, or beers to Weymouth, MA
      I’m borrowing the neighbors compression test this evening to check again but when I bought the boat (3months ago) compression was good.

bought a spark tester today and new spark plugs even though the ones that are in there are only 3 months old.

I just replaced the coils so I imagine that the spark is going to be as good as it gets? Two ignition coils were broken/corroded and they were attached to cylinder 1,2 so maybe they fried those spark plugs?

idk, I’ve done so much to this thing I’m perplexed

Comment

Pulling the plug wires off while running could cause the spark voltage to jump somewhere it is not suppose to jump harming coils or other parts of the ignition system.
        Lots of people do it, but is not a good idea.
        if good compression and spark, then you are left with not the proper fuel to air ratio

Comment

Oops! I wanted to see if pulling one reduced the RPMs while idling in a bucket. The RPMs didn’t flinch when the top two were pulled.
          Fuel to air ratio as in the carb jets need to be taken out a bit? (Left turns)

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBoat50tlr View Post
            Oops! I wanted to see if pulling one reduced the RPMs while idling in a bucket. The RPMs didn’t flinch when the top two were pulled.
            Fuel to air ratio as in the carb jets need to be taken out a bit? (Left turns)
            Did the plug wires arc to something when you pulled them off?
            did you hear them arcing?

I personally do not think a 3 cylinder motor would run on only one cylinder
            especially at idle

too much fuel or not enough can cause a cylinder to not fire/burn properly

Did you follow the link and sync procedures after reinstalling the carbs after you cleaned them and set to factory specs?
            maybe you did not clean everything as good as it was needed.
            heated sonic cleaner is needed some times
            Last edited by 99yam40; 08-11-2021, 07:21 PM.

Comment

I don’t believe i heard arcing but when plugged into a spark plug and grounded the plug, my buddy told me he could see spark when I turned the key.
              I tried as best I could to link and sync
              I followed this video as a reference and used the manual although that was reallllly detailed and confusing at times

this is the video I used
              https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=msNWU0fAces

Comment

Nothing like checking compression at 10pm
                perfect compression on all three.

Tomorrow’s to do:
                Check spark on all three with the spark checker
                Check manual for how many turns out each carb adjustment is supposed to be. Maybe my top two carbs need more than manual suggests?
                Look down the carbs, queeze the primer bulb, see if fuel is flowing. If yes, the needle inlet in the carb is sticking open on the top two carbs and flooding them, correct???

Should I buy this and check timing with it? I don’t know too much about timing but this seems to be able to tell me if they are timed the same.
                https://www.amazon.com/INNOVA-5568-P...8-3&th=1&psc=1

Comment

using a timing light is a very good idea
                  at least the compression is even

Comment

Checked spark with an Inline spark checker. They are all firing.
                    Took the water separator off, a little debris on the bottom, looked like pebbles and something else small. Filled the water separator with a little k100 and fuel.
                    took it down to the dock and put it in. Started right up then started coughing (haven’t seen that yet)
                    started to adjust the carb adjustments to get it to stop coughing. Couldn’t get it dialed in.
                    while running I put my hand over each carb and I could feel air being sucked in.
                    Now it’s back at the house. I guess I’m going to take the carbs off...again

Comment

https://youtube.com/shorts/mVVP_E82sws?feature=share

Comment

Seems like an occasional misfire (ignition) IMO.

Might try hooking up your spark tester, leave it attached, one wire at a time.
                        Then run the engine(cowl off of course) and watch the tester when it starts running rough. This is to see IF your loosing spark..

Scott
                        1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

This is a great idea.
                          Yesterday I took the carbs off for my 3rd cleaning. While they were soaking in parts cleaner, I went to go make more problems so I took the thermostat housing off to clean it out. Broke a bolt. Tried to remove it with a reverse thread extractor. Cracked the housing. Taking it to the welder Monday, he said he can do it and has done it before.

anyways. All the carbs are back on and clean. I have a ignition timing light in the mail coming today. Next week when I start it, I will use it to also verify the sparks are igniting consistently. (That will work right?)
                          Maybe I have a bad coil or I didn’t put the boot/clip on correctly.

Comment

I am thinking the housing you said you cracked is actually part of the block

Comment

It is part of the block so I need to get it sealed up good. Was tempted to go get jb weld but I want it done right and not bandaid it. Too much salt water up there to risk it.

Comment

Working...
                              X