Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should i clean pulleys? (Before belt change)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should i clean pulleys? (Before belt change)

I am waiting for a timing belt for my f80 to come in. There is some hardened belt dust stuck to the pulleys. I am thinking this needs to come off before new belt goes on.? If so, what would best way to clean it? I tries a small sample with rubbing alcohol and a toothbrush but it did very little.

Suggestions? Obviously i dont want to damage the pulleys or leave a slippery residue of any kind on it.

Try some 3M Scothbrite scrubbing pads….then finish with some carb cleaner and an old toothbrush….

Comment

I actually started cleaning them. A toothbrush with some brake clean and a rag underneath so any extra cant run down the engine. For those super stuck chunks i found a golf tee worked well and it cant damage the metal.

Comment

They are very clean now. No more belt residue stuck to them . Almost looks too clean. Lol. The area on the pulleys above where the belt rode has a bit of texture to it. The area where the belt rode is shiny and smooth now. Im guessing there is no dressing or roughing of that area required?

Comment

Working...
        X