Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

95 Yamaha 50HP - Trouble starting after running it for 30+ minutes, and Oil Leaking!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 95 Yamaha 50HP - Trouble starting after running it for 30+ minutes, and Oil Leaking!!

Hi there, new to the forum. Appreciate any help in advance!!!

So I bought a 1988 20' Lowe Fish N Fun Pontoon that I am currently fixing up, and it came with a nice Yamaha outboard motor on it. Specs below:

1995 Four Stroke 50HP, Power Trim/Tilt, Electric Start, 20" shaft, Remote Controls
    (Info from my ID tag that reads: F50TLRT)

Currently having two main issues:

1) After I've been cruising around for 30+ minutes, I will turn off the engine and drop anchor and just hang out at a sand bar or something like that. When I go to restart it after a 30+ minute wait, it never starts immediately. It always take a several minutes and me turning the key at least 10 times. In comparison it starts right up on the first try when I first drop into the water. Any idea what's happening here?

2) When I've killed the engine to park at a sandbar, or when I've pulled it out of the water on the trailer, I've noticed oil leaking (see picture below) and don't know where that's coming from.

Many thanks in advance for any help or insight!

Cheers,

Luc

(This picture is from the boat ramp right after I pulled it out of the water..... it had been running for around 35 minutes before this)

have you tried pumping the primer bulb before restarting the motor to see if that helped?

also have you looked to see where that oil is coming from?
    and have you checked the oil level to see if it is over full due to motor making oil(gas getting into the oil)

Comment

I will try to figure out where the oil is coming from, and I will also check the oil level. Is checking the oil level like a car where you want the engine to be warmed up first, but not running? Many thanks!

As far as the engine not starting back up on first try after it's been sitting, I have pumped the primer bulb when this happens and can only get 1-2 pumps in as it's already pretty tight, and it doesn't start right up after that..... still takes like 1-2 minutes of turning it over

Comment

if it has plenty of fuel in the carbs, then maybe some fuel have vaporized and causing a too rich condition for the restart.
        try opening the throttle (fast idle lever) a little to add more air.

since this looks like it has a choke, are you using the choke during restart?

maybe flooding motor if you are

Comment

Working...
        X