TDC markings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TDC markings

I am replacing my timing belt on a 99 f80 TLRX. Upon closer inspection i found the (see pics in previous post) driven gears marks line up and the small hole on the drive gear is lined up with the mark on the casting. But the TDC mark on my flywheel (red line in pic) is off. How is that possible? Is there a keyway so it can only be installed lined up with the drive shaft/drive gear?

Comment

Does this mean the woodruff key under the flywheel has been sheared? And does that key hold ONLY the flywheel?

Comment

There is a woodroffe key. There is little play between the flywheel and the key before the nut is tightened. The timing pointer might be misadjusted or bent. In the end the only the drive gear marks are important.
        Stanley Islander 19, 2006 Yamaha F150TLRC. Ottawa, Canada
        16' York River, 1986 Yamaha PRO 50.

Comment

I knew the gear drive was important and motor ran fine before i decided to replace belt. Ive worked on a lot of bikes and have dealt with timing chains etc...This is my first outboard so im trying to learn as much as I can before doing the belt. I was just surprised to see flywheel tdc at 5 oclock instead of 6. Oddly enough, as i was out looking at the thing, I noticed there is another stamp on the front of the flywheel that says TDC also and with the driven gears matched up, that is lined up with a pointer at the front of the motor. It also has plus and minus numbers for timing adjustment. Now im guessing that is the tdc for the flywheel and the other tdc stamp does not apply when the driven gears are lined up? Odd that its even there but right now i have driven gear marks lined up, drive gear hole over casting mark and front tdc mark all lined up. Only one that isnt lined up is the tdc mark with no other markings at around 5oclock if looking at flywheel from the top. I have to believe timing is tdc and woodruff key is good?

Comment

all 3 cylinders should have a TDC mark on the flywheel.
            only #1 has the degrees before and after TDC also, so that is the one you need to be dealing with

Comment

Ahhhhh. So when the drive pulley is lined up and the (plus minus) tdc is at 12 oclock and in line with the pointer, #1 is at tdc and thats where i want to be at for the belt change. Now it makes sense

Comment

Working...
              X