can i jump/bypass trim sensor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can i jump/bypass trim sensor?

I have a 1993 130hp TXRR. I am not getting oil transferred from remote to engine tank when needed. Also the tach shows all 3 blinking lights which is an indicator that the engine tank is low and the remote tank full correct. Is that correct? Which is not the problem. But at the same time lights starting blinking the trim gauge stopped working. I read that in this model it will not transfer oil if it thinks the motor is in the up position. I sender is broken off. I removed it and going to get another on order. My question is can I jump or bypass the sensor to make the engine think that it is down just to see if the lights stop blinking? Can I just plug the orange or pink bullet connector into the black bullet connector?
    While it will not transfer oil if it thinks that the motor is in the up position according to the gauge would that make the lights blink also or just stop it from transferring oil? Trying to figure out if the blinking lights can be due to the trim sensor not working or is it only affecting the transfer of oil?
    If trim sensor has nothing to do with blinking lights on tach then from what I have read it need to trace ground wire from remote tank back to engine. I unplugged harness at remote tack and had continuity from black pin in harness to a good ground on motor. Next I assume is to go from engine harness to gauge?

Thanks....

Anyone with answers or suggestions?

Comment

In a 1993 model year V6 the automatic oil transfer system is disabled if the motor is trimmed up. Or if the system thinks that the motor is trimmed up.

I would jumper the connector, to which the trim sender normally connects, to see if that will drive the trim meter to the down position. Pink to black or pink to orange. See if that allows the automatic oil transfer system to function normally.

Comment

Boscoe, what will cause all 3 oil lights to blink/
        I know you posted something on this before

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
          Boscoe, what will cause all 3 oil lights to blink/
          I know you posted something on this before
          Normally this shown below. On some models bad circuitry will do it also.

Comment

Boscoe99 and 99yam40 thanks for replies.

I have the sensor out waiting on a new one. Just to make sure to jump it at bullet connectors I go pink to black and it should send meter in one direction. Do i then go orange to black or orange to pink to make meter move in the other direction?
            I did see in another the possible causes for 3 lights blinking together. Both engine and remote tank full so I am going to track down my wiring/connection or switch issue this weekend I hope. I don't think I asked my question clearly though on this part. I am assuming I have 2 separate problems that would stop the transfer of oil each on their own. I was interested in knowing if the bad trim gauge stops the transfer of oil by making the 3 lights blink. I was hoping the trim sender would solve both problems.
            Thanks....

Comment

The trim sender only tells the gauge and the CDI if the motor is up or down.

If the trim sender tells the motor that it is not down then auto-transfer of the oil will cease.

If the auto-transfer ceases then the main tank will run low while the remote tank remains filled with oil. At which time the three lights will blink. As shown in the diagram above.

Fix the trim sender problem and your other problem may go away.

Comment

Thanks again. The only reason I think I have another issue causing the flashing lights is because the engine tank is full. Will try this weekend for sure.

Comment

Okay I got the new trim sensor that is mounted on motor. I plugged in and moved it by hand. The bars did move on the gauge. But the 3 lights are still flashing so I think it is 2 different issues. The trim sensor may have corroded off but in the down position so it never stopped the transfer in the past. Possible? I think the not transferring has to do with the SWB switch open (or at least it thinks it is open due to wiring issue). So questions on 2 issues if you don't mind.
                  1. trim gauge. If i remember correctly the bars on the trim sensor are only illuminated one at a time correct? It does not look like the fuel gauge with multiple bars on at one time correct. When i turn key to on the gauge initiates (not sure if that is the correct term). Every other bar lights up on trim, all 3 lights(arrows) flash, and tach reads L L. Then after a second or so single bar lights up on trim, all 3 lights remain flashing, and tach goes to 0. Also when i moved trim sensor by hand before I installed and now that it is installed and move with motor only every other bar lights up on gauge. Just like when key is first turned on. I don't believe it is suppose to work like this. I can move motor a little at a time and get in between where no bars are on. Could this be a setting?
                  2. 3 flashing lights. Happening with the engine and remote tanks are full. So lights mean system thinks engine tank is low. I unplugged engine tank senor and tested for continuity from known engine ground to black wire in plug. it was good. Also tested it through the transfer switch and it was good. also tested it all the way to the engine side of main harness. All good. I tested for 12 volts and both sides of the main harness on the gauge side. All good. I drained the oil out of the engine tank to see if the alarm would sound and it did. If it sent the signal to sound alarm does that mean the ground/wiring is not the issue with SWB? Also the transfer switch works and will mover oil on demand so I know not issue with transfer pump or filter.

Comment

I have just taken all of the gauges out of boat so I have all of the harnesses open and can test easily. I am going to test continuity and clean all bullet connectors.
                    What test do i need to do with all of the harnesses other than continuity with a know ground?

Comment

Any suggestions on above problem with trim bars?

Comment

Boscoe or 99Yam. Anyone with any suggestions?
                        I cleaned every bullet connector, plugs, pins, and harnesses on the motor. Still having 3 blinking lights on gauge and every other bar will light up on trim gauge.
                        If I can get a bar in the middle of the gauge to light up then shouldn't I be able to rule out the trim gauge causing the lights to blink and stop oil transfer? Can I jump the trim sensor and make the system think the motor is up no matter what bar is lit up? Trying to figure out if one has anything to do with the other. If the system thinks the motor is up does it stop the transfer of oil by making the lights blink?

I know the lights mean the system thinks the engine tank is low and remote tank full. Both are full, so need to find wear I have lost ground to SWB correct? I have tested for continuity everywhere I can find. it transfers when I use the emergency switch so I know filter and pump is fine. But the key in middle light blinking correct?

Comment

sorry, I am of no help on this

Comment

Okay solved the issue with the only every other bar showing up on the trim gauge. I purchased a used tach and now the bars on the trim gauge all light up with key on and then goes to single bar. So that was not the cause of the not transferring oil from remote to engine tank.
                            I started a new post to help with that issue.
                            thanks....

Comment

Working...
                            X