02 Yamaha F115 4stroke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 02 Yamaha F115 4stroke

Ok guys. I have been fighting this issue for a while. Not being able to develop full rpms. I sent my ecu off to be tested and it showed no problems. Upon reinstalling it, I noticed the 2 camshaft pulleys not aligning when the arrow on the small crossmember is pointing to tdc. Is it possible for one of them to jump one notch and still run? I have never taken the timing belt off. Help!

Not sure about your engine but I worked on another members 40HP Yam. It didn't have a belt tensioner. Original belt, quite loose, obviously jumped teeth on its own.

We had the crank at TDC, one cam was off TWO TEETH and it still ran. It was a non interference engine (no damage).

Don't know your model # but here's a F115 parts fisch with a tensioner;

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Ya...LVE/parts.html

How many hours on the engine and more importantly, how does the belt look(worn/shredding, etc)?

Probably looking at a new belt and possibly a tensioner.

The timing being off will definitly affect your performance..
    Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 06-12-2015, 06:56 PM.
    Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Have you considered/checked/cleaned the injector screens?...

Comment

The motor only has 237hrs. The belt looks good. Am I looking at the timing marks correctly? Two cam gears aligned and arrow pointing to rear of flywheel. Thats what I read in repair manual. All injectors have been replaced, so thats not a player. No codes in yds. Only reaches 3200 rpms and doesn't plane boat.

Comment

My F150 marks I'm sure are a different set up than yours..IDK about your 115.

In any case, wherever the manual has you lining up marks, they should be dead nuts on.

If the tensioner isn't keeping full tension on the belt, that would also allow the belt to jump teeth..
          Scott
          1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Originally posted by Mulletman View Post
            The motor only has 237hrs. The belt looks good. Am I looking at the timing marks correctly? Two cam gears aligned and arrow pointing to rear of flywheel.
            "rear of flywheel"?
            there isn't a pointer at the front of the flywheel?
            right next to the lifting eye?

Comment

The timing marks should look like this

Comment

remember,that above diagram is with the flywheel removed.
                there is a casting tab on the block and a mark on the reluctor ring assy.

Comment

I was being a reluctor and therefore was reluctant to mention that the flywheel was not shown.

Comment

Mercury Outboards to the rescue....
                    Attached Files

Comment

If one is certain that the timing point is set correctly then yes, that can be used as the reference point.

Comment

Quick question, where did you send your ECU to be tested ?

Thanks.

Comment

Thanks for all the advise so far. I sent the ECU to a place called Circuitry Repair. They are located near Rochester, NY. I got it back with them indicating nothing was wrong with it. Only cost me $15 for the return shipping. I replaced the second ignition coil and took it to the lake just a few minutes ago. Same problem. Wont plane out! I'm running out of options. Will the motor act this way if the power relay is faulty? I mean, will it run and not supply power to ECU and maybe one of the ignition coils? HELP!

Comment

google Yamaha marine dealer locator.
                            find a dealer near you that employs a master tech.
                            take the boat in.

the FIRST step in trouble shooting is a thourough understanding of the operating system your trying to test.

the second step is will the cylinders mechanically seal.
                            the third step is will the spark producing componets make spark.
                            then go fix the fuel system.

think mon think.
                            if the power relay failed you would not power up the coils and fuel pump .
                            remember this engine uses a 12V TCI ignition system that utilizes whats called a waste spark design.

Comment

Ok. What I'm attempting to do is obtain a (thorough) understanding of the operating system from helpful people without the condescending tone applied from some. The manner in which you're (your) replying is not necessary. I do have an adequate understanding of the English language. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X