Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2009 F250 annual service

Hello, I am new to the forum.

I have twin F250s and am about to do the annual service on them, 700 hours.

My mechanic has already changed out the impeller kits and gear oil, but I am going to tackle the rest on the list. Have done the oil and filter changes on previous I/Os that I have owned, but this will be the first time on an outboard.

I plan to use my oil pump to pump out the engine oil rather than draining it. It seems to do a good job, someone please tell me if there is a downside to this. I have heard it helps to tilt the engine up to get most of the oil out?

My main question will be changing out the in-line fuel filter and the oil filter. Any tricks to these items, does it help to do one before the other, etc. I will pump or drain the oil before the oil filter comes off.

The inspection items on the list are:
    spark plugs (what should I look for)
    timing belt (ditto)
    thermostats (ditto)

Rest of the inspect and replacement items seem like I can handle.

I am sure there are many threads on this, but just wanted to get a post up.

thanks in advance for the help and advice!

save your self and your motor

have someone that knows their job (hard to find in this biz) and get it done right...just reading your post made me cring !! ya don't use a oil pump !!forget the You Tube BS vids...pure weekend warriors

Comment

Thanks for the reply

Funny thing is that Yamaha recommends (versus draining) using an oil pump in the owners manual, like I mentioned I have used it several times without a problem.

These are basic items just looking for some guidance on, if any of them seem to be beyond my comfort level of course will take it in. Have already done so for the impeller and gear oil items.

Comment

nothing wrong with pumping the oil out. less trouble, cleaner, and faster,

no chance at threads pulling or cross threading the drain

Yamaha Service manual for your motor should give steps and specs for all services
        If after looking it over you do not feel easy about doing anything see if the Yamaha guy you take it to will let you watch and learn a little

Comment

Originally posted by JackintheBoat View Post

My main question will be changing out the in-line fuel filter and the oil filter. Any tricks to these items, does it help to do one before the other, etc.

The inspection items on the list are:
          spark plugs (what should I look for)
          timing belt (ditto)
          thermostats (ditto)
          - the oil filter may be very reluctant to unscrew, requiring a wrench. The "end cap" type is nice - if you have a good fit for the particular filter. There will be oil in the filter, of course - pack the area below with rags/paper towels first.
          - spark plugs: standard visual evaluation as with any four stroke engine
          -timing belt: rubber ages. You don't want to see cracks, splits, fraying or crumbs.
          -thermostats: The gasket is "part of" the thermostat and hence comes out with/on it. Insoluble "salt" corrosion can accumulate around them inside their housing, so removing them is prophylactic. They should be closed when you see them. If you want to be thorough, heat them on the stove in a pot of water and make sure they open.

Comment

oil drain

The main reason I drain the oil is so I can ck the bottom of drain pan for crap..and don't even bother to test old therms...complete waste of time in 99 percent cases..replace with new and wipe the bolt/screw holes and upper shoulder of bolt with a dap of of "triple guard"
            Last edited by bajakeith; 06-11-2015, 12:59 AM. Reason: forgot a T

Comment

Originally posted by bajakeith View Post
              ... old therms...replace with new"
              The OP is talking about an "annual service"

You throw away your thermostats every year?

Comment

Fair Deal, thanks, just needed the basic things to look for on these items, kinda what I thought.

Comment

Originally posted by fairdeal View Post
                  The OP is talking about an "annual service"

You throw away your thermostats every year?

If you are paying someone big bucks per hour to service the motor, it is cheaper to replace them than pay his labor to test and reinstall

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                    If you are paying someone big bucks per hour to service the motor, it is cheaper to replace them than pay his labor to test and reinstall
                    I do not question your wisdom.

However, unless I am mistaken,

this thread was begun by an owner looking for guidance on work that he was about to take on himself.

Is that a Violation of the Terms Of Use of this site?

If so, I apologize for my involvement.

Comment

service

also when you drain the oil pan you can let it drip for a while ( never seems to stop LOL) you will get the most drainage possible (aka cleaner) I Have a awesome oil extracting pump, use it for I/O'S and inboards....

Comment

only time I remove the drain plug is when I am disassembling the oil pan.

no one seems to understand valve clearance .
                        look at the sticky.
                        see when its done,

go play from there.

unlike your chebby, Yamaha does not use self adjusting hydraulic lifters.

Comment

I've used an electric oil pump to drain the oil from from my F150. It got out almost all of it.

For S&G's, I also pulled the drain plug to see exactly how much was left in the crankcase. I gpt an additional 3/4 cup of old oil out and as noted above, tends to drip for awhile.

3/4 a cup left out of 5.5 quarts is not much at all, so its really how far you want to go with it.

The last oil change, I bought the "KIT" from Yamaha and it came with a solid aluminum drain washer.

It also came with 5 quarts of oil, not 5.5 as specified to put the oil on the middle of the dip stick (and what the owners and shop manual call for). I inquired about the .5 quart and was told, that's what Yamaha calls for.. hummm. I already had left over Yamaha oil and did my 5.5 quarts..
                          Scott
                          1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Originally posted by fairdeal View Post
                            I do not question your wisdom.

However, unless I am mistaken,

this thread was begun by an owner looking for guidance on work that he was about to take on himself.

Is that a Violation of the Terms Of Use of this site?

If so, I apologize for my involvement.

I was just referring to the reason paid techs replace and not test

Comment

there is a sticky at the top of the forum that gives the ANNUAL OR HOURLY schedule.

remember the OR.
                              its whichever occurs FIRST.

yes its really that simple.

10 100 hr services does NOT equal the 1000 hour service nor the 400 nor the 500.

Comment

Working...
                              X