2007 F200TXR - Telltale Blocked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2007 F200TXR - Telltale Blocked

I bought this boat 2 years ago and taken care of the regular maintenance like oil and fuel filters myself because I'm an engineer and mechanically inclined. I've read as many forums, part diagrams, and watched enough youtube videos, but I'm stuck. We went up river and got stuck with the tides. Sucked up a bunch of sand. Newbie mistake, but live and learn. As soon as we got free, the telltale stopped telling. No water whatsoever. Zero issues running at any speed and zero alarms.

Things I've done:
    1. Cleaned the intake screen on the lower unit. 2. Replaced the impeller and housing. Lots of sand stuck here. 3. Opened up the thermostat housings and installed new thermostats. Interesting, there were none existing. The passages had some rust, which was concerning. 4. Replaced the pressure control valve. 5. Cleaned the telltale pipe from the outlet up to the VST (I think?).

Before going to the ramp to test it out, I hit the telltale with some compressed air and didn't seem to get any blockage because air seems to flow. Started it up, and got a good stream for about 5 seconds then it went back to a very fast drip. When the motor was running I disconnected the flush port hose fitting and saw a strong stream of hot water. So whatever is upstream of that is clear.

What else can I open up to check before I BOAT to the shop?

hook up muffs and motor flush to water hoses ,

turn on water full blast
    crank up motor and run at high idle
    blow compressed air up the tell tail from time to time to see if you can get the sand to move around and on out of the motor

I have removed the lower unit ,
    hooked up a water hose to the pipe up to power head,
    removed the stats leaving the covers off
    rigged up a way to inject compressed air into the water hose
    turned on water full blast
    inject compressed air from time to time to help move things around inside motor.
    watch for sand/shell coming out of the stats and lower unit with the water.
    shoot compressed air up the tell tail from time to time also

good luck
    Last edited by 99yam40; 08-02-2021, 01:26 PM.

Comment

I have removed the tell-tale hose from the fitting at the head….then probe around in there with the motor running….that hose fitting(nipple) is fairly small diameter and it won’t take a very big piece of sand or scale to stop the flow…

Comment

Originally posted by robert graham View Post
        I have removed the tell-tale hose from the fitting at the head;
        on a 2007 F200TXR ?
        I doubt that, it can't be seen much less accessed

further complicating things, on that engine,
        the telltale takes a circuitous route
        through a fuel cooler,
        and a chamber on the back of the regulator/rectifier.

If those are packed with sand,
        there may be some chance of flushing/blowing them clear
        if not they will need to be 'excavated' and manually cleaned out
        bit of a PITA getting to them...

Last edited by fairdeal; 08-02-2021, 02:55 PM.

Comment

Yep, definately a lot of stuff to move around to get to the regulator and fuel cooler. I can try though. Running the motor with the stats cover off is pretty impossible too because so many components have to be unplugged or move away for access.

Can you safely run the motor with a hose connected to the muffs and the flush port at the same time? If so, hitting the telltale with air for a while is my next step.

Comment

Originally posted by fairdeal View Post
            on a 2007 F200TXR ?
            I doubt that, it can't be seen much less accessed

further complicating things, on that engine,
            the telltale takes a circuitous route
            through a fuel cooler,
            and a chamber on the back of the regulator/rectifier.

If those are packed with sand,
            there may be some chance of flushing/blowing them clear
            if not they will need to be 'excavated' and manually cleaned out
            bit of a PITA getting to them...

Sometimes I forget that most of these newer 4 stroke motors aren’t nearly as simple as my old C90….

Comment

Originally posted by Professor1250 View Post
              Yep, definately a lot of stuff to move around to get to the regulator and fuel cooler. I can try though. Running the motor with the stats cover off is pretty impossible too because so many components have to be unplugged or move away for access.

Can you safely run the motor with a hose connected to the muffs and the flush port at the same time? .
              Yes.........
              Scott
              1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Working...
              X