Yamaha 4-stroke 250hp will not start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha 4-stroke 250hp will not start

The engine will not start. Yamaha 2014 four stroke 250hp motor. While fishing the engine quit running. I was able to start it for approximately 30 seconds while sputtering and then it has not started since. These are the things I have done to fix the problem.
    1. Checked for air in the lines... no air in the lines
    2. Ran diagnostics, no issues shown
    3. Just in case replaced the water separator...
    4. Replaced the engine fuel filter
    5. Checked the low press pick up pump... feeds fuel appropriately
    6. Removed the VST, cleaned the container and replaced both fuel filters
    7. Checked the High pressure pump... It is delivering a good amount of fuel to the injectors.
    8. Checked all injectors, (did not measure pressure) all delivering a good amount of fuel
    9. Checked spark on all plugs all have good spark, (also changed all the spark plugs)
    10. Checked compression.... all cylinders are good
    11. Checked the kill switch... normal
    12. Checked all fuses... all good
    12. Have not checked timming
    13. The engine did overheat prior to the main problem, but I replaced the complete impeller assembly.
    14. Have not changed out the thermostats, could this cause the engine not to start??
    15. HELP, PLEASE

Sounds like the CDI is still being grounded. But you say you have good spark how was it checked? Mybe a chaffed wire in harness grounding out? You say engine overheated was this at the same time problem started? Because i belive overheat alarm works when grounded. Here's a link that might give you some idea's How to Troubleshoot an Outboard Kill Switch (marineengine.com)

Comment

Thanks for your input. We removed each spark plug and checked for spark, there was a strong spark on all cylinders. One knocked me hard. No the overheating was days before and I replaced the complete impeller kit. The overheating was happening at low RPM's, the day that the engine shut off no alarms sounded. Thanks for the video, I don't believe it's the kill switch since we have spark.

Comment

motor needs good compression, good spark at the proper time, and proper fuel to air ratio
        you say everything is good, but that cannot be true if it will not start.
        too much fuel or too little can be a problem.
        monitor fuel pressures to make sure they are in spec.
        the ECU thinks there is proper rail pressure, is it?

Comment

Working...
        X