2006 Yamaha 250 fourstroke rpm max after running for a while

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2006 Yamaha 250 fourstroke rpm max after running for a while

I have a 2006 Yamaha 250 four stroke. When I first launch the boat the motor runs great but after running for an extended time (an hour or so) when I get off plane the motor will only get up to 3400 rpms and the boat will not get on plane. I can get it back on plane by messing with the motor trim and boat trim tabs. (It takes a little while and then all of a sudden the motor will jump up to 4700 rpms and I back it down) When the motor is cold or just used for a short amount of time it has not issues getting up on plane. If I don't come off plane the motor runs great and will for hours without issue. For a while when the motor was shutoff and then restarted the problem would go away and operate normally. Now turning off the motor doesn't seem to fix the issue. I thought it was a fuel issue so have changed: fuel water separator, under cowling fuel filter, and both VST filters. The motor didn't have any codes when I took it to the dealer and ran just fine when they test ran it in a tank.

Not sure what to go after next. Maybe cam position sensors? It is frustrating because it is 100% repeatable issue but just not sure where to start looking at.
Working...
X