F6 4 stroke won't idle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F6 4 stroke won't idle

I have a 2001 F6 4 stroke that I have used for three seasons with no issue. This year it has developed a problem with not wanting to idle. It runs strong at mid throttle and up. I have taken off the carb and disassembled, cleaned, and put back on twice. No change. Any advice on how to proceed from here would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Scott

Did you physically remove the idle and main jets? you have to voasably be able to see thru them. A squirt of carb cleaner won't cut it...

2001 F6MLHZ Yamaha Outboard CARBURETOR Diagram and Parts

Jets 9, 10 and 11. The side holes in #11 will very easily varnish up and clog..
    Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

I did take them out and clean them. I could see through the small holes. I am planning to try again and this time soak them in parts cleaner rather than just spray carb cleaner. Any other thoughts or advice is welcome. Scott

Comment

Update. I talked to a local Yamaha dealer where I learned that the idle air adjusting scew is under a plug. No wonder I couldn't find it. I had to drill out the plug then clean that area. Put it back on the motor and it purrs like an old cat. Thanks for the help.
        Scott

Comment

Tks for the update... And congrates!!
          Scott
          1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Working...
          X