Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha 2T 60hp sporadic misfires under load

Hello all,

I'm new to this forum and i would first like to thank you all for your valuable information you have already offered on all the threads of this forum.

I'm facing an issue with my outboard Yamaha 2T 60hp 99-00 for more than a year now. While on plane after boating for a few minutes or while getting on plane under load it happens something like one cylinder is misfiring which is getting worse if i increase the throttle. Last summer this problem transformed from a sporadic event to a constant situation so i had the opportunity to further investigate it in my garage (this wasn't possible before as the issue happened only in the water and under load). After performing some measurements i found out that the input wire of one of the three ignition coils was totally black and corroded so i replaced it. This change seemed to permanently fix the issue. But a month ago and after a half our trip while i got off plane and after *****ing around while i tried to get again on plane the sporadic misfires started again! I removed all three ignition coils as well as the sparkplugs and i measured the resistance which was exactly as on spec. Today i took some measurements on the voltages across the coils all taken at 1500rpm.

CDI output: 75Volt on all three ignition coils instead of minimum of 145V ( according to service manual)
    Charge coil: 245Volt instead of 160V
    Pulser coil: 7Volt instead of 6.5V (that is the only measurement look to be in spec)
    Lighting coil: 16Volt instead of 25V
    Crank Position sensor: 9Volt instead of 20V.

All the above voltages was measured using a DMM and a DVA adapter. Because i wanted to be sure for the measurements i also used an oscilloscope which may offer a better view of the problem and also make available the waveforms to the community of the internet.

Check this video with all the waveforms i measured: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnhCdYYC1XA

never heard of a 2T 60hp

look at the model # again
    service manual gives minimum voltages, so reading higher is not a problem, but lower is

were the reading loaded or unloaded?
    look at the manual and get readings both ways
    Last edited by 99yam40; 07-24-2021, 07:06 PM.

Comment

The engine is a Yamaha 60hp two stroke 99-00 model (60FETO)
      The readings were all measured while the cables connected (loaded)

Comment

the manual should have unloaded specs also,
        get unloaded readings .
        readings should change some if something is dragging down

how many pulser coils are on that 60? 3 or 2
        how many were at spec?
        If the crank position is used to help create spark for #2 like on a 90 that could be your problem

Comment

It has unloaded specs while cranking but i didn't take any measurements while unloaded.
          There is 1 pulser coil.

I'm not sure for the use of the crank position sensor but it could be my problem.

Comment

I measured the resistance of Pulser coil and ignition sensor but i don't what is the correct value it should have

Crank Position Sensor 6H2-85895-01: 215Ohm
            Pulser coil 6H2-85580-01: 314Ohm

Comment

Working...
            X