How to set a trim tab ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to set a trim tab ?

How do you know if your trim tab needs adjusting ? My boat has always leaned to starboard ( under power) since it was new. Can this be fixed by adjusting this tab ? How would one proceed? thanks for any replies .

There are MANY answers to this question. Let's start with what boat and what engine you have. In most cases, I believe the trim anode is to counter torque steer (prop walk), not listing. Lot's of other things can cause listing, though. More info, first, then it will help us be more accurate, rather than guessing.
    2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
    1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

Originally posted by teaser261 View Post
      How do you know if your trim tab needs adjusting ? My boat has always leaned to starboard ( under power) since it was new. Can this be fixed by adjusting this tab ? How would one proceed? thanks for any replies .
      If its pulling to the right, yes it needs adjusting. The torque from the engine tends to make the vessel pull.

I forgot what I have mine set at but its only ONE Mark from center (I think to the right). Just loosen it, rotate slightly and test... Repeat if needed

On my boat, the initial set up(re-power), from the dealer was one notch to the other side than recommended (its in the owners manual). It pulled TERRIBLY to the right and was very over propped...

Put the trim tab as suggested per the manual (one notch on the OTHER SIDE of center), completly different boat. Prior to the re-adjustment, it needed TWO hands on the steering wheel or your going in TIGHT circles...

Re-reading your post,
      As posted above, if its just leaning, possibly a weight issue. Mine tends to lean to the right, especially since the larger, group 24 battery, (needed for this engine), was installed in the starboard side rear battery area.
      Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 06-06-2015, 07:11 PM.
      Scott
      1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Loosen the nut, rotate trim tab until it's pointed toward starboard(to the right looking at the back of the motor), tighten nut, sea trial boat to check for trim, adjust tab back towards port(to the left looking at back of motor) as necessary, if required....the trim tab may well not remove all pull at all speeds, but it should help a lot....

Comment

Originally posted by robert graham View Post
          Loosen the nut, rotate trim tab until it's pointed toward starboard(to the right looking at the back of the motor), tighten nut, sea trial boat to check for trim, adjust tab back towards port(to the left looking at back of motor) as necessary, if required....the trim tab may well not remove all pull at all speeds, but it should help a lot....
          I read the same you did initially Robert, no mention of pulling, LEANING ONLY.
          Scott

Comment

He mentioned leaning under power only, which I assumed was a trim issue...

Comment

It's a 2004 Stratos fish-n-ski. It sits in the water just fine. It doesn't seem to pull one way or the other. But it feels like it wants to roll over starboard when you put it under power. 1 *****ing battery on starboard, one on port, oil reservoir just above starboard battery. boat rides nice if I position load just right to compensate. Leans hard if I am alone. Never had an issue with my old boat ( but was a bass boat that sat lower and flatter in the water )thanks for help !

Comment

What size boat, what size engine? My first thought was/is that you have it trimmed in too far for the given speed.

Comment

Well, in either case, it won't hurt to adjust the trim tab and see if that helps. Doesn't take a couple to adjust. Just mark where it was to start with..

As noted earlier, I have than ONE larger battery in the starboard rear. On my center console, I'm on the left. With the boat just sitting in the water its fine.

Steering doesn't pull anymore.

It does tend to lean to the right UNLESS, my bimini top catches the wind in the best position and tends to straighten the boat out.

Serious current will also make you have to "lean" as well to fight against the current..
                  Scott

Comment

if its listing under power you will need trim tabs.
                    adjusting the anode wont help.

Comment

It's an 18 foot bowrider with a Yamaha 115 2 stroke. Thanks for all your replies !!

Comment

OK, try trimming up a little higher when on plane. Too much negative trim puts too much hull in the water and that will cause listing with many v-hulls. Very normal.

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
                          if its listing under power you will need trim tabs.
                          adjusting the anode wont help.
                          You can always count on Rodbolt to add some common sense to the topic.

Comment

my 21 seapro has an F150,second station,jack plate and lenco tabs.
                            I will never own another V hull boat without either hydraulic or electric trim tabs.

Comment

Working...
                            X