2018 Yamaha 90 questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2018 Yamaha 90 questions

Hey all, I went and checked out a boat with a 2017 or 2018 90hp Yamaha on it with only 40 hours. Being unfamiliar with the tachometer on the Yamaha outboards I was curious, both the temperature and oil symbols were lit up a solid red the whole time. No alarms, engine ran fine. Are the lights always on on these tachs? Was wondering if it was normal and it only indicates a problem if they start flashing.

Also, when the guy started it from cold, it died once immediately then he gave it a little bit of gas and ran it around 2500 RPMs for a few minutes before moving the lever all the way down to idle where it idled fine from there on. Also sound normal to you guys?

No to the tachometer lights being on and no to having to advance the throttle to get the motor started. Both are not normal.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
      No to the tachometer lights being on and no to having to advance the throttle to get the motor started. Both are not normal.
      Thank you for the reply. I know the boat used to have a 2 stroke carb outboard so My guess is he was still used to that, had to break my old man of that habit myself.
      What could I check for the lights being illuminated? In the manual it shows a picture of the light, with a bar above it on the digital display. The bar is not illuminated on the tach. There is one youtube video where a dealership is showcasing a new yamaha repower and the glimpse you get of the tach has the same lights illuminated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWnH_oTz7Rw&t=183s

Right at the 2:50ish mark you can see the identical tach with the same lights, on a brand new engine. If it's not normal I will have to avoid that dealership!

Comment

you talk about the old being 2 stroke , so I would think this one is a F90.

see if the tach is wired up properly and see if the tach has different settings and set properly

Comment

All, I guess I am an idiot and I did not look at it before it was even started. Even turned off the lights are "on" as they are not lights at all! just indicators of what each bar means should it light up... Feel like such a newbie! Will also have to test cold starts with no throttle and see what happens. Thanks for the replys.

Comment

Working...
          X