Very hard to start Yamaha F15 outboard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Very hard to start Yamaha F15 outboard

My Yamaha F15SMHA outboard (manufactured 05/13) has always been difficult to start when cold or when it has not been run for a day or more. It seems to start better when I give it more gas by turning the throttle past “start”. I squeeze the fuel bulb between every couple of pulls to make sure there is fuel in the system. When it finally catches and starts running (after MANY pulls) I must immediately give it more gas to keep it running. Once it warms up a bit you can slowly bring it down to idle. After that it runs great and will restart in one or two pulls if stopped (without advancing the throttle beyond “start”).

I brought it a marina and they installed a Yamaha fuel/water separating filter in the gas line but that has not made the motor start any easier. BTW, I replace this filter every year.

I checked the fuel filter and it is clean and free of water and is full of fuel. Spark plugs are replaced annually and with gap set appropriately. Fuel is fresh.

Any thoughts as to what I can do to make the motor easier to start?

did the shop have a problem starting the motor like you ?
    I would have thought that is the reason you took it into them.
    did you tell them that did not fix your problem?

that motor has a prime start system to help with cold start and running by adding extra fuel,
    I would think that system is not working properly

Comment

Check your prime start assy for proper operation.

https://www.boats.net/catalog/yamaha...113/carburetor

Comment

Item 29 in above parts diagram. Remove from carb and apply 12 volts to the leads ...after a few minutes the needle should extend then remove the 12 volts and the needle should retract. I suspect yours is stuck in the extend position closing off the enrichment passage in the carb. If it is stuck then it's like trying to start the engine without a choke. The prime start is the"choke" on this engine.

Comment

Working...
        X