2005 F90 oil leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2005 F90 oil leak

Ever since I've been using it my 2005 F90 has had a slight oil leak from somewhere around the base of the powerhead, where exactly I've never been able to determine. I assumed it was because the engine "makes oil", probably due to improper break-in before I owned it. Since learning about that I have made a point of running at WOT as much as possible (which isn't often with our local seas but usually for a mile or so entering and exiting Humboldt Bay) and that seems to have helped somewhat with less apparent leakage over the last dozen trips...until very recently when I noticed rather than making oil I am now losing it. The leak has gotten significantly worse and for the first time I had to add a half quart between changes.

Research has indicated that it's quite common for the F115 and some larger models to develop wear on the drive shaft around the lower oil pump seal. There is a product called "Speedi Sleeve" that is commonly used to clean up the seal mating surface on the shaft. Evidently in some cases this can be installed to good effect without removing the power head to access the oil pump.

To date, I have found no reference to this issue nor that solution for the F90 though. I'm not sure if it's because there's a different oil pump or exactly why that is. I may be mistaken but I thought the F90 and F115 use the same lower unit.

I have a water pump impeller on order so will be pulling the lower unit soon to service it. If I knew the Speedi Sleeve would help and what part number to order I'd go ahead and get it now. I'm hoping to avoid pulling the power head but prepared to do so if necessary. Any pointers would be much appreciated.
Working...
X