1988 Yamaha 130 V4 ETLG - no spark on all 4 plugs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1988 Yamaha 130 V4 ETLG - no spark on all 4 plugs

When I winterized my 1988 Yamaha 130hp V4 it was running great. Pulled it out of storage and there is no spark on any of the 4 spark plugs.

The rectifier/regulator failed a resistance test and I have order a new one. The stator passes the resistance test however when cranking it over I get no voltage readings as per the service manual. Would a bad stator or CDI be the likely culprit?

Should I change the pulser coil assembly too?

Thanks.

Check the safety cutout lanyard first before buying and replacing anything.

Comment

Thank you ausnoelm. I should have mentioned that the lanyard switch tested ok and I removed the white wire from the CDI box and still no spark.

Comment

are you using a peak reading meter made for testing these ignition systems ?
        checking the charge coil out put and pulser coil outputs while disconnected from the CDI and while connected would be the best thing to do (unloaded and then loaded).

and then the outputs of the CDI
        Last edited by 99yam40; 07-13-2021, 09:12 AM.

Comment

Thank you 99yam40. No I did not use a peak reading meter just a quality digital multimeter and it show zero voltages while cranking over the engine.

I will run the unloaded and loaded resistance tests as you suggested. The CDI output tests are on the screw terminals where the stator and pulser lead wires connect? And am I measuring just resistance or also voltage on the CDI?

Thanks

Comment

I was talking about voltage tests not ohms/resistance.
            were you measuring ac or dc voltages with you meter?
            try both ways.
            best to find a adapter for reading these voltages with a regular meter if you want to compare to specs in service manual

Comment

Working...
            X