Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to remove 2013 F150XA plastic cowling on Leg?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to remove 2013 F150XA plastic cowling on Leg?

Hey Guys,

Just found this place, looks like a great forum. To the point...I'm Trying to do a real good cleaning, get a little more familiar with the outboard and was wondering how to remove the plastic cowling on the leg? I see 2 screws on the front of the leg to separate it but it won't let go. Don't want to break anything so are there more fasteners inside the hood at the bottom of the engine or something else holding it in place? Thanks in advance!

Yes I believe there are 3 10mm bolts either side of the power head going down into the cowling.

Comment

Make that 4 bolts total (two per side) and I agree with greasy.

Item 39 in this illustration I believe.

2006 and Later F150XA Yamaha Outboard BOTTOM COWLING Diagram and Parts

Comment

I'm subscribing to this thread

is the OP really talking about the lower cowling?

I suspect he's asking about the apron

on that engine, I haven't a clue.

Looks like its one piece - what do you do, just pry it open?

Comment

oh, what am i thinking -

Seastars will have this solved....

Comment

Originally posted by fairdeal View Post
            I'm subscribing to this thread

is the OP really talking about the lower cowling?

I suspect he's asking about the apron

on that engine, I haven't a clue.

Looks like its one piece - what do you do, just pry it open?
            You unbolt it and then it opens up where it is split so that it can be removed. Unless I am wrong in which case seastars will be along shortly to correct me.

But yes, I think he means the apron and not the lower cowling. Because of his comment about the forward screws and nuts.

Comment

Subscribed and waiting with my popcorn!!! (for you know who)
              Scott
              1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Thanks for the replies gents, and yes I mean the apron. I called it a plastic cowling but looking at a parts diagram yesterday, apron is the official name. Sorry about that!
                My boat is in storage but I will be taking it out in 2 weeks so I'll be at it ASAP.
                It makes sense there are a few bolts holding it up in place.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
                  You unbolt it and then it opens up where it is split so that it can be removed.
                  But yes, I think he means the apron and not the lower cowling. Because of his comment about the forward screws and nuts.
                  JM68
                  You did understand that only the 2 front bolts with nuts is all they are saying holds it together and on from what I read.
                  The other stuff was about lower cowling

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                    JM68
                    You did understand that only the 2 front bolts with nuts is all they are saying holds it together and on from what I read.
                    The other stuff was about lower cowling
                    Actually, I'm just re-reading it again to understand it but I don't think it's just the 2 front bolts/nuts holding it in place because when I had those taken out the apron still wouldn't come off or move out of place even a little. I think there is still something holding it in place like a plastic tab or grommet on the apron itself. I didn't want to force it but if you guys are sure there is nothing else holding it in place other than those 2 front screws I will try again to get it off.

Comment

I am betting that the upper part of the apron is affixed to the bottom of the lower cowling with a number of bolts. Look inside the lower cowling and see if you don't see a number of bolts at the bottom of the cowl that appear to be right above the outside edge of the apron.

Comment

I'm with you on this one, I think there's bolts holding the top of the apron to the cowling. I will check when I get my boat out of storage to confirm.

Comment

Just stopped by again.

The above-referenced parts diagram is tricky -

I can only see #s 39,40,41 pictured once -

but the listing says 4X

and studying the apron drawing long enough, it does show 4 places where bolts would attach from above.

although I fear they would be a challenge to get to, with the power head in place

no doubt that's how it's done, but I'm still bothered by the thought of "spreading" that piece of plastic apart to get it off

I can hear the cracking sound......

Comment

Originally posted by fairdeal View Post
                            Just stopped by again.

The above-referenced parts diagram is tricky -

I can only see #s 39,40,41 pictured once -

but the listing says 4X

and studying the apron drawing long enough, it does show 4 places where bolts would attach from above.

although I fear they would be a challenge to get to, with the power head in place

no doubt that's how it's done, but I'm still bothered by the thought of "spreading" that piece of plastic apart to get it off

I can hear the cracking sound
                            That's my fear as well, don't want to crack it.

Comment

That piece is made out of very flexible but tough plastic. You won't break it. Aprons are removed all of the time without any damage.

Ever bought some product that is wrapped in molded plastic? The plastic from hell that is almost impossible to remove? Think that type of plastic.

Comment

Working...
                              X