90hp oil pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 90hp oil pump

I have a 1990 mod 90 hp yamaha and the oil injection is playing up . It seems like sometimes its getting oil up to the carbies and other times its not .
    I pulled the oil pump off and unassembled it but i can see anything wrong with it, everything seems to be working as it should and no worn parts that i can see
    Would anyone have any idea what could be wrong with it ?
    I guess my next step would be to bench test it, has anyone done that? how did you do it ?

If the pump is not pumping oil to engine then replace oil pump. Be sure to add oil to gas tank to make sure engine is getting enough oil.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

wrxhoon,
      If there is any question that the oil pump is not doing it's job, then do what boats.net guy says and replace it.
      There is a procedure in the Yamaha manual to test the output of the oil pump - and I believe it's a little different for different models. You might want to get yourself a Yamaha manual - can order online at www.yamahapubs.com.
      Good luck [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
      Ken K

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys, i have bench tested the pump and its working fine. I guess the next step would be to check where it mashes with the crank.
        Has anyone had any problems with that?
        There is no point replacing the pump if i dont find the problem .
        Yes i have been running the motor with a portable tank mixed with 50-1 oil (i cant add to main tank as i'm runnuning twin 90's)

Comment

Working...
        X