Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1999 250TXRX Saltwater Series

Comment

I ordered parts. I don't have confidence in the test method given the manual inconsistency and my lack of the harness. Also had to order at Peak Voltage Adapter which just adds more dealy. None of my local autopart stores carry them. I ordered parts for both engines (cha-ching boats.net), since I don't want to deal w/ this on the other engine also. I want to move on to fishing instead of constantly working on this boat. I had to do fuel tanks over the winter so this is becoming endless...

Comment

It is sometimes better to measure Current rather than relying on Voltage readings.

Voltage is conveniently read as a first analysis because it usually doesn’t involve much interference with the circuits measured, just touch with probes.

However the interpretation of voltage readings can be a nightmare when it is possible that usually one of three things could be the issue: less than good battery(s), bad or resistive connections, or unexpected or excessive load.
        So before suspecting the engines “charging” ability it is being more proactive (want of better word) to check these three things first. As alluded to the batteries might be better asssessed if fully charged by a seperate charger first (ie start with fully charged batteries).
        So measuring Current is more involved, requiring disconnections, but often removal of fuses or switching circuit breakers off is all that may be needed without actual disconnecting. Although undoing connections might be good proactive maintenance, the cleaning of and reconnecting tightening of them.

Comment

they make DC clamp on ammeters also so no need to disconnect wiring to measure

Comment

Working...
          X