Linkage or gear problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linkage or gear problem?

I have a 2008 150hp Yamaha XTR150. When I put it in gear, it acts normal, but sometimes it makes a noise like the gears aren't engaging completely. I had the lower unit off for water pump repairs and thought I might not have aligned it correctly, so I pulled it off and put it back. When I am more "firm" about starting off, it doesn't do it. Only if I start off slowly and start to gradually throttle up. It only does it at very low speed, when starting off. Gear oil is pristine, no metal shavings on plug. First time it happened, I though I hit something. That's the kind of thump it makes.

It's a common problem at low speed untiiiil 7 -8 K RPM. Make sure you pull up on the drive shaft while tapping the washers downward when water pump is installed
    (To keep the driveshaft from going slightly up and down and making an annoying knocking sound). also there is a bushing in the mid section that needs to be greased.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluefish View Post
      It's a common problem at low speed untiiiil 7 -8 K RPM. Make sure you pull up on the drive shaft while tapping the washers downward when water pump is installed
      (To keep the driveshaft from going slightly up and down and making an annoying knocking sound). also there is a bushing in the mid section that needs to be greased.
      should have been 700 -800 RPM not K

Comment

Working...
      X