Re-power from F 115 to F 130 has anyone got any data/info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re-power from F 115 to F 130 has anyone got any data/info

Has anyone repowered a boat from a F 115 AET to the new F 130 AET, I am after feedback inc performance difference/figures in boat speed, fuel economy & power difference ect. I have a 2009 F 115 AET & thinking about upgrading & looking at pro/cons at this stage.
    Thanks Guys

You almost never see actual power curve data - rpm, hp, torque - released by the outboard manufacturers - that could catastrophically impede their marketing.

With two engines like that - "nearly" mechanically identical - its quite possible, likely even, that the horsepower difference only appears significant in the last 500-1000 rpms. (in fact the specs show the 115 is at 5800, the 130 at 6300, although they both have a WOT of 6300.

Muddying the water is that props are typically selected based on performance at WOT.

So with different props, the full range performance on the boat IS likely different, even though the power available at any low/mid range point may be essentially the same with either engine.

Here's about the only manufacturer released data I've ever seen. Its from some years ago; I wonder if they realized later it wasn't in their interest to let that out....
    Attached Files

Comment

you can always look to see what they have put out there on the different motors
      if they have on same boat

Outboard Performance, Performance Bulletins | Yamaha Outboards

Comment

Thanks guys, I was aware of these details, I was mainly after some actual on boat feedback if it has been done, using Command Link data of fuel flow, boat speed, RPM gain and what prop size increase ect, comparing directly between these two engines on the same boat.

Comment

Trouble is that this is a website based in the USA. Although there are a few non-USA participants, for the most part it is participated in by guys/gals from the US. Yamaha USA does not offer an F130 here. So, I can't think of a soul in the US that is going to be able to offer you some actual performance differences between an F115 and an F130. Furthermore, I believe the F130 is new on the market and there will be little real world data available anywhere as to how it compares to an F115.

Is there a perceived problem with performance that you are getting today or do you have a bit of "want new motor itus"? From a cost perspective it will take years and years to recover the cost of a new motor in the form of reduced fuel burn. Now if the get up and go on your boat is marginal with your F115 then the F130 might just be the ticket to pleasure. Might be. No one can say for sure.

Comment

agreed 15 extra HP is not much of an increase

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Harper View Post
              Has anyone repowered a boat from a F 115 AET to the new F 130 AET, I am after feedback inc performance difference/figures in boat speed, fuel economy & power difference ect. I have a 2009 F 115 AET & thinking about upgrading & looking at pro/cons at this stage.
              Thanks Guys
              A number of years back I repowered a 19' cuddy from a 115 to a 140. Difference in performance was negligible, however, no regrets as it did add tilt, trim and oil blend.
              Only picked up 3 mph at wot.

Comment

OP seems to want real world performance results. Not the output of mathematical models.

You are consistent if nothing else. You consistently fail to understand almost every post that gets published.

For instance; a guy asks about testing a Yamaha speedometer and you go off onto a GPS navigation tangent. Gobbledeegook provided that does not reply to the question raised.

Have you ever been tested for a failure to understand and comprehend?

Has your momma suggested that you take a remedial reading course? You will need it when and if you make to the eighth grade.

I suspect that you will fail to understand and comprehend my question.
                Last edited by boscoe99; 05-31-2015, 01:59 PM.

Comment

Thanks again, I have no real problems now, just a bit sluggish under load to get up on the plane, also I travel 2 -3 hrs each way to our reefs here in northern Australia, so was looking to see mainly the cruise/mid range gains if any. BTW I thought USA already had the F 130, are you not getting it at all ??

Comment

Did you see one listed in the performance link or the parts web site here.
                    I have not

you may have to go for a 150, that should give some more get up and go.
                    and should not have to push it so hard to do it
                    Last edited by 99yam40; 05-31-2015, 04:45 PM.

Comment

Slow to get up on plane indicates you might be over propped. Easy to do and often seen. Make sure that the motor can get to at or near 6000 RPM, with the throttle wide open and the motor trimmed to the most efficient trim angle, when the boat is loaded as you would use it.

Being over propped is not good for the motor and will lead to poor performance at all RPM's.

No word yet that I have heard on our getting the F130 on this side of the pond. Kind of a strange HP rating as most would go for the F150 if the boat allows.

Comment

The boat is an Aussie made 5.5m (18.5) ft fibreglass cuddy cabin Yaltacraft 555 model. The boat is max HP rated to 150 hp, but the Yam F150 is too heavy by weight for the boats max weight rating. I have played with props ( 10 ) different props and ended up with a 16 Vengeance, this prop is best for cruise/midrange at 4300 n max @ 5900. The only reason for this thread was to see if I could maybe get a mid range gain, which is where the engine does most of it's running on 2-3 hrs runs each way to the GBR here. I do realise it is only 15 up, but it might just be enough to be able to swing a bigger prop, therefore speed/fuel gain at mid range. Obviously I did not want to upgrade on a "hope n prayer" just maybe someone had upgraded for any reason and maybe they were able to provide some info.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Harper View Post
                          The boat is an Aussie made 5.5m (18.5) ft fibreglass cuddy cabin Yaltacraft 555 model. The boat is max HP rated to 150 hp, but the Yam F150 is too heavy by weight for the boats max weight rating. I have played with props ( 10 ) different props and ended up with a 16 Vengeance, this prop is best for cruise/midrange at 4300 n max @ 5900. The only reason for this thread was to see if I could maybe get a mid range gain, which is where the engine does most of it's running on 2-3 hrs runs each way to the GBR here. I do realise it is only 15 up, but it might just be enough to be able to swing a bigger prop, therefore speed/fuel gain at mid range. Obviously I did not want to upgrade on a "hope n prayer" just maybe someone had upgraded for any reason and maybe they were able to provide some info.
                          Clearly you know as much about the answer to your question as the advise you've been getting.

And are struggling to fight off "wishful thinking" that with only 15 hp difference at WOT, the difference at mid range can be significant...

Comment

Does the F130 in your neck of the woods have variable camshaft timing?

Comment

According to specs, no it does not have any form of VVT

Comment

Working...
                              X