Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F150 Noises after replacing balancer assy

Good Afternoon

Last season I replaced the harmonic balancer assembly on my 05' F150. There was nothing wrong with it, but wanted to makes sure
    I didn't have any problems in the future - I have heard they can really cause problems if they go bad.

The job seemed to go fine and I had no issues. I used the boat probably a couple of times with no problems (short trips), but
    I just took it out for the first time this season and noticed an unusual sound.

One of the things I noticed when I changed the the balancer was that there was a whine that was gone. I didn't notice it previously,
    but now I am hearing something that sounds similar to a rattling (rattling that isn't continual frequent stopping and starting)
    The sound really seems to be coming from the balancer area, and I only hear at idle when in neutral.

Is it possible this is just the sound of having more backlash in the balancer gears?

Should I take it all apart and inspect it? It is kind of difficult for me to ignore it

Any help is appreciated,
    Thanks, Tim
    Last edited by Timbuktu; 07-05-2021, 03:30 PM.

I pulled it apart to inspect, it looked perfect. I ran it pretty hard to test it; no problems. I am really not comfortable with this noise though as a balancer failure could be the end of the power head. When I put a stethoscope on it I am pretty darn sure it is coming from the balancer. Any thoughts here? Can you typically hear them? I know the old one whined pretty loudly. Is there anyway to upload a low res video for you guys to hear?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Comment

You should be able to take and post an audio/video with either You Tube or I use Flicker

Here's my '06 F150 after putting in a type 4 balancer (cowl still on), perhaps it can help:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/147134...in/dateposted/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/147134...in/dateposted/

Note, Yamaha, way back replaced my original balancer with a type 3.

Yamaha shortly thereafter came out with a type 4. As you noted, a balancer failure is catastrophic.
      I bit the bullet and bought/installed a type 4 myself. I still have low hours on the engine but it's pretty quiet
      in the balancer area.
      Scott
      1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Thanks for posting!

It's hard to tell with the cowling on.

I uploaded a short video to YouTube - Link below

Balancer noise 1 F150 - YouTube

Comment

I don't think I have that noise, thou I rarely run it with the cowl off so am not positive..

In any event, if you have the latest (type 4) balancer on there, I think your fine.

I think Yamaha ran out of type 3's a long time ago as the type 4 was coming out about the same time.
          And there are no markings, discernable differences between them.
          Scott

Comment

It is the -04

I was thinking the way I could truly confirm that it is the balancer would be to take the guts out of the old one and mount the housing back in place. Then run it - low speed only. Is there any problem with doing this?

If it is I might just spring for a new balancer - I cannot afford a balancer failure

Comment

Someone posted about removing the guts and running it with no balancer.

There was no reported issue but the engine did run rougher/unbalanced.

I would just check and make sure there's no oil passages in the balancer, that W/O the guts, is bleeding oil pressure. I don't believe there is.

Looking at a pic of my 04 style balancer (just before re-assembly), I don't see any oiling passages:

Scott

Comment

The weathers real crappy down here today.

I can, in a couple of days, record with the cowl off for ya the area of the balancer..
                Scott

Comment

That would be great! Thanks

Comment

Here ya go.

It sounds WAY NOISER on the video than live. I mean way noisier... And obviously, I'm right on top of it.
                    More the entire engine itself W/O the cowl.
                    First at idle, 700RPMs, then up to about 1,100 RPMs.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/147134...ream/lightbox/

Listening to both video/audio's, I can't really discern a difference. Your idle is a little but rough, but I think they both sound similar.

How mine sounds live, I don't have any concern about the balancer/engine... From what I hear, I think yours is fine..
                    Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 08-05-2021, 02:10 PM.
                    Scott

Comment

Thanks a bunch,

I watched your video yesterday, and I think yours in much more quiet. I ran it with the guts out and the sound went away. They are going to warranty the balancer so long as I don't hear it after the new one is installed.

You may very well be right that it is OK. But I think I would be willing to pay for the piece of mind even if they didn't warranty it.

Thanks again for everything
                      Last edited by Timbuktu; 08-06-2021, 12:52 PM.

Comment

Interesting.. I'd suspect some noise as it is a pretty heavy set of shafts/weight spinning around..

Please post back after the new one is in, if it sounds any better..

BTW, I have an occasional, first try, no crank that occurs after sitting for awhile(days). With the cowl off yesterday and then starting it, I COULD HEAR the starter relay clicking WITH no crank, several times- Soo, found that issue and ordered another relay.. Thanks!

What's really interesting, I checked my service log and I replaced the starter relay when it was 7 years old. It's NOW, 7 years later and it failed (to the month) AGAIN...
                        I already knew how to by pass it, but would rather have it working correctly..

Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 08-06-2021, 01:20 PM.
                        Scott

Comment

Working...
                        X