1997 50hp not peeing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1997 50hp not peeing

I have a 1997 Yamaha 50tlrv. It has never peed good since I bought it six months ago. I found out there was prices of impeller blocking water flow to took the water jacket off and cleaned out all of that. After that it peed pretty good. Seemed a little weak to me but nothing to be concerned about and the motor stayed cool. At some point it randomly quit peeing again. I replaced the impeller for the second time since having it and put it back on and still won’t pee. This time it seems as though water is not even making it into the power head because it gets burning hot to the touch after a very short idle. It used to stay cool even if it didn’t pee a drop cause water was still flowing into the passages.
    I used the hose to back flush it and it pushed water form the water jacket outlet down the lower unit pickup. I blew compressed air though the water pickup tube and could feel it come out the pee hose, so I have ruled out a clog.
    it seems as though the motor is not spinning the impeller or something.
    I have verified the pickups are not clogged
    I put impeller in while turning drive shaft clockwise
    any ideas what could be causing this?
    Thanks

"it seems as though the motor is not spinning the impeller or something."

if you think that, drop the lower again and check to make sure the shaft key is in place that holds the impeller to the shaft.

blowing some compressed air up the tell tale while running with water can relocate debris if that is why the TT is not showing flow

Comment

I tried that, like I said I don’t believe it’s a clog in the power head because it doesn’t feel like any water is making it to the power head with how fast it gets hot.
      what’s weird is it quit peeing with the old impeller that was peeing fine, I wanted to inspect it to see if that was why it quit peeing. Since they’re cheap I replaced it while I was at it. The old one was only a few months old and still looks brand new.
      when installing the new one I put the key in the right place and when I turn the drive shaft by hand it spins the impeller perfectly fine so I do not believe this is my issue.

Comment

more that likely you have other parts of an old impeller or other debris plugging off some passages.
        have you pulled the stat to see what it looks like up inside there?

Comment

Yes, when I first got the motor I replaced the thermostat, there was a few pieces of an impeller there. I will pull it off again today and see if there is anything else that’s worked it’s way into there.

Comment

did this overheating start happen right after you replaced the impeller?
            If so it could be it is the result of something you did.
            double check all of it, and make sure the grommet that sits inside the pump outlet that the tube to power head sits in is still sitting in there properly

Comment

No, when I bought the motor it owed weak so I replaced impeller and cleaned out passages, then it was peeing then it all of a sudden quit. I replaced impeller again and it still won’t pee.

Comment

Follow the pee tube back to it’s outlet nipple on the head, remove the clamp and the tube there….inspect/run some weed eater line inside the head….may have a small piece of sand or deposit stuck there….

Comment

I got the water pumping issue solved. There was some sort of a clog between the lower unit and the power head. In that tube that runs from lower unit up. So that’s solved.

I had posted a little bit back of my motor lean sneezing on cold starts.
                  I cleaned and redid the prime start system with new gaskets and diaphragm and that mad a big difference. I though the issue has even gone away. Well now it is doing it intermittently. I tried started motor when trimmed up and it was significantly worse while doing this.
                  I am thinking I need to adjust the needles on the carbs, does anybody know how many turns out from lightly seated they should be on this motor?
                  thanks

Comment

Also forgot to mention, the lean sneeze only happens on cold starts and it always does it when the high idle first goes down to normal. Like when the prime start shuts off it dies. After a few starts it stays running and idles great

Comment

Originally posted by Skeeter00185 View Post
                      I got the water pumping issue solved. There was some sort of a clog between the lower unit and the power head. In that tube that runs from lower unit up. So that’s solved.

I had posted a little bit back of my motor lean sneezing on cold starts.
                      I cleaned and redid the prime start system with new gaskets and diaphragm and that mad a big difference. I though the issue has even gone away. Well now it is doing it intermittently. I tried started motor when trimmed up and it was significantly worse while doing this.
                      I am thinking I need to adjust the needles on the carbs, does anybody know how many turns out from lightly seated they should be on this motor?
                      thanks

Originally posted by Skeeter00185 View Post
                      Also forgot to mention, the lean sneeze only happens on cold starts and it always does it when the high idle first goes down to normal. Like when the prime start shuts off it dies. After a few starts it stays running and idles great
                      What was the clog in the pipe?
                      and how did you clear it?

how high was the motor trimmed up when you started it.
                      Could be something moved around in a carb bowl due to the tilting and plugged up a jet/passage or just the carbs being tilted too high caused problems

being you are asking about the factory pilot screw settings means you do not have a manual, so you probably did not follow the link and sync procedures after cleaning and reinstalling the carbs.
                      that needs to be done each time the carbs are put back on
                      I do not have the info on your motor

Comment

well all I tried to do was remove an e from the word (one) to make it (on) and it flagged my post.
                        maybe they will allow it to show up sooner or later

Comment

Working...
                        X