New boat, not sure if Command Link is setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New boat, not sure if Command Link is setup

Hi. I'm new! I picked up a new Starcraft SVX190 with the F150. Love the boat. However, I had no idea there were no included gauges, lights or buzzers for the engine other than RPM and Tilt. This is super surprising to me, as any other boat I've been on except maybe my 12' skiff had indicator lights or buzzers to indicate if you're engine is about to explode.

The only gauge I have on my invoice is a Yamaha Trim Gauge. No other details.

The control box I have is: Premium Flush Mount Control Box 6X3-48206-01-00. Pretty basic. I have seen reports of control boxes having engine alerts built in, but I doubt this does and I've never even heard a beep from it during startup like I might expect.

I'd like to add a Command Link round display unit, one of the basic digital jobs that has engine hours, temp and oil monitoring. I have no idea how many hours I've got on it except from gallons of gas estimate at this point.

If I can swap out the "Yamaha trim gauge" I'm totally OK with that. But the connectors are all foreign to me, and I was hoping someone here might be able to ID based on this pic attached. The trim is in the middle lower position.

Would these gauges all be using Command Link? They must be talking to the engine over Command Link I'd assume, or is there a "dumb" option for basic analog displays?

I don't see the Command Link hub anywhere, unless it's hidden deep somewhere.

There's several loose unterminated plugs that might be usable for additional displays but again, no idea what I'm looking at yet.

A wiring diagram of my boat would answer so many questions!

Thanks for any words of wisdom. I love doing electrical projects but want something to start with before I dig in.

Command Link instrumentation is optional. Don't think you will find a Command Link hub on your boat.

Many boat builders use non Yamaha tachometer instruments. Seems to be what you have.

The key switch panel has an alarm integrated with it. To hear the horn, pull the kill switch lanyard. Crank the motor. You should hear the warning horn.

Go to the Yamaha website at www.yamahaoutboards.com and view the rigging catalog. Determine what instrumentation that you want. You do not have to have Command Link to get a tachometer with visual lights on it. There are several flavours.

Comment

The rigging kits I was looking it look like they include the full wiring from the engine. I can't check right now (not near the boat for a few days), but is Command Link a dedicated port on the engine? Or would the existing gauges be already plugged into that port?

Comment

Dedicated CL port on the motor. For CL use only. Any non CL gauges would use a different port.

Comment

The buzzer on the F150 apparently won't buzz during normal start (single motor config), according to my tests and various online reports.
          I could only get it to buzz by performing the lanyard pull, then crank. Oddly, I tried that procedure and didn't hear anything at first. Then crawled under and fiddled with the buzzers connectors (thought it was loose maybe), tried the test again and I could hear the buzzer. It didnt look loose but maybe it was.

I ordered up a digital tach w/command link (no hub) and will run the line to the motor. I see the port on the motor and there's nothing connected to it so it should be an easy job.

Thanks again!

Comment

Single engine Yams don't buzz at key on.

Comment

Working...
            X