Prop Pitch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prop Pitch

Am I okay with a 19 pitch prop WOT at 5K rpm on my 19’ Bayrunner Baja 2001 Yamaha F115 or should I reprop? Max water speed is 40 mph which is really too fast for this old man .

speed if not the right way to measure correct prop, RPM s are.
    seems your WOT rpms are too low, you are lugging the motor.

have a look here to see what a rig like yours did and what prop they used
    Outboard Performance, Performance Bulletins | Yamaha Outboards
    Last edited by 99yam40; 05-27-2015, 08:44 AM.

Comment

Nearest boat listed is the Starcraft w/19 pitch. I think I'll have to drop down to a 15 pitch to attain 6K rpm .

Comment

what elevation are you running this boat and motor at?
        you loose power the higher you go and end up with less prop the motor can turn

Comment

I'm at sea level at the Pacific Ocean but tested it on a Lake here in California also at sea level.

Comment

I know not what to say as to why you are not able to push that prop unless the motor , boat, or set up has a problem.
            Maybe the boat is different enough in weight or hull design.

Yamaha makes test props for their motors you can run in a tank or while boat is tied off to dock or trailer to see if the motor can hit certain RPMS.
            maybe you can have a Yamaha shop close to you test if they have the correct test prop

Comment

I spoke to a prop shop who said that for every pitch changed it will increases/decreases the the rpm by 200. So I bought and changed from a 19 to a 13 pitch prop. Tried out yestereday and hit my 6K rpm. I'm a happy camper...err boater .

Comment

Working...
              X