F250 Bearing Carrier Zerk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F250 Bearing Carrier Zerk

How important is this zerk? I cannot get grease to load. I've removed the zerk and cleaned out what I can. No go. I tried a heat gun to soften old grease but no change.
    2007 F250 & LF250. 20210621_151433_compress33.jpg

The hex head would suggest a screw in type zerk, so maybe remove it to inspect the zerk and area inside. With zerk removed maybe probe in there with something like weadeater line to remove old, hardened grease.

Comment

Robert, exactly what I did. I've decided to leave it there until the carrier needs to be removed for some reason. The zerk passes grease, but no go on the rest.

Comment

What year engine?

Those two prop seals and lower entire unit is lubed by the gear lube.

I've never seen a grease fitting there and suspect someone added it for what-ever reason.

I looked up one F250 LU, and nothing showing there to confirm it belongs..

Scott
        1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Maybe the zerk is there to fill a void with grease to help keep lubricant in and water out???

Comment

Friend has a f250 with the same zerk. We never could get grease to flow into it. It is a bit strange.

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
              Friend has a f250 with the same zerk. We never could get grease to flow into it. It is a bit strange.
              Two possibilities,

Perhaps for dis-assembly. Pressurized grease into an un-bolted carrier,( depending on where the hole goes) could help push the carrier out(basically hydraulic)...

OR, that carrier goes in one specific way (just a guess) and that zerk fitting simply shows the carrier must be installed with the zerk downward.
              It'd be much easier to see/remember vs a small simple casting mark..
              Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 06-23-2021, 08:24 AM.
              Scott

Comment

Thanks for the replies. Others have told me the zerk rarely takes grease unless the engine is new. Nice try Yamaha, there is a reason newer models don't have this zerk.

From another site: just really greases the threads on the carrier bearing retaining nut. Not the bearings... And, it doesn't help in getting that nut off, at least in my experience.

From another site: And, it doesn't help in getting that nut off, at least in my experience.

FYI: Year of engine is in original post.

Comment

Yep, putting in the correct info, it's there from the factory:

https://www.boats.net/catalog/yamaha...g-drive-1-f250

Capture.JPG
                  Scott

Comment

It does seem to go into the void of the bearing housing….???

Comment

Maybe/hopefully an expert like Fairdeal will chime in with the true purpose of this zerk…..

Comment

I have an 06 f250 and mine win take grease. Not bragging just letting you know.

Comment

has anyone tried using those impact type of grease injectors.
                          slip it onto the cert and hit with a hammer to force liquid prenatrating fluid or grease thru

Comment

I have that tool and seldom used. But with the right finesse and luck, it has saved the day. I use Aerokroil only. Referred to as kroil oil. In the orange can.. "Try it, your like it"

Comment

Working...
                            X