Question about low usage of 2019 Yamaha F40LA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about low usage of 2019 Yamaha F40LA

I have question about low usage of my Yamaha 2019 F40LA outboard. I really do not use it often since it is not used in the winter months. I use it 2-3 weekends in the summer and fall during the waterfowl season. Probably use it 8 times from May to September and 10 times during duck season. I am always in shallow water and run 1/4 to 1/2 throttle. I do take 5-10 minutes to run at full throttle at the end of each outing to get the engine running before going home. I run in fresh water, flush 15 minutes with the flush port when I get home, change the gear oil, engine oil/oil filter, spark plugs, fuel filter (on engine only), full water pump impeller kit change and thermostat yearly. I winterize with the gas/EFI fogging oil and run the motor with a 55 gallon drum supplied with water from my hose. The thing hates water muffs.

I am concerned that low usage is going to be a problem when my 6 year warranty expires. I bet I run this motor a maximum of 20-25 hours a year. I do use non ethanol fuel, add Yamaha fuel conditioner and Ringfree to every tank and use a fresh batch of treated gas at the start of the season. What do you guys think and suggest I do to prevent issues. The boat and motor are always stored in my home garage. Thanks for your replies.
    Last edited by byron.akhavi@gmail.com; 06-17-2021, 09:41 PM.

Nothing to worry about. Do try to go out more often.. Its good for the motor and yourself. A little lube in the right places and your coverd

Comment

The only thing I was going to mention when I started reading your post was just to make sure to be using a fuel stabilizer (extra can't hurt) and/or fill the tank with less fuel so you use it up more often. But it seems like you've got that covered. You're good - it will be just fine.
      2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
      1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

Thanks for the responses!! Appreciate it.

Comment

I am trying to figure out what you are trying to flush out of the motor if you run in fresh water all the time

Comment

The area I boat in is between 3-5 feet of water. It has a sandy bottom and is weedy. I get debris in the motor when I duck hunt and fish for Bass. It is fresh water but I do see little bits of weeds and sand flushed out. I flush with the flush port (motor off) for 15 minutes. Then place the motor in a 50 gallon drum and run at a fast idle for 10 minutes running the motor once a month (every 4-5 trips). It keeps the water channels clean. Been doing it since I bought the motor.

Comment

Might want to flush with deionized and demineralized water.

Comment

Working...
              X