2007 2 stroke 25 - no spark, failed suddenly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2007 2 stroke 25 - no spark, failed suddenly

Greetings all! New Yamaha (previously Tohatsu) owner here! I picked up a cherry (see pics.) 2007 25 short shaft/pull start. Still had all the paint on the prop, and skeg. I've been running it for about three weeks, regularly, and it's absolutely one of the nicest running engines I've ever had. A little cold natured, but a one pull runner after the first fire up. Today I was running down the river, and it just shut down. No Misfires, no ****iness, no loss of power, nothing weird to note. Luckily a group of decent dudes towed us the five miles up river to our rig and we got home fine.

I tore into it immediately and checked everything, starting with compression. Dead even 120/120 on each cylinder (I don't believe this engine was ever broken in, it's come up 30PSI evenly on both cylinders since I bought it.) Pulled the plugs, zero spark on either. Both pulsers, the charging coil, and the lighting coil all ohm out properly, as do both of the ignition coils. I don't have a DVA, but I've got a snap on meter that holds min/max and has a graph. It's difficult to watch the meter and pull the cord at the same time, but the appearance on the graph is that everything is working properly. Is it common for one of these CDI/powerpacks to fail without warning on such a young engine? They're 350$ and I'd like to eliminate any possibility of buying one and it not being the culprit. I pulled the flywheel, everything under it looked flawless. No broken magnets, or weird chafing. The keyway, and top of the crank are perfect. Any guidance or advise is greatly appreciated! Thanks, all!

kill switch grounds the voltage to the ignition coils to stop the motor,
    check the switch and wire

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
      kill switch grounds the voltage to the ignition coils to stop the motor,
      check the switch and wire
      Disconnected it, and tested the switch for continuity when pressed/open. Closes when pressed/lanyard removed, stays open when not pressed.

Comment

what about the wire to the CDI?

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
          what about the wire to the CDI?
          Yeah, sorry, should have been more clear. I tested at that wire, disconnected from the CDI. Unplugged from the unit there is no change in spark or not.

Comment

DVA is a good thing to have.
            reading peak minimum voltages into and out of the CDI to compare to the specs is the best way.
            testing loaded and unloaded helps sometimes to see if the wiring or other devices could be pulling voltages down
            you can make a DVA just need a cap, diode, and resister
            look on line
            the right cap is the hard one to find
            Last edited by 99yam40; 06-13-2021, 10:45 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X