Do you guys use Yamashield Spray??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you guys use Yamashield Spray??

Just want to know if spraying down the power head of a F40LA outboard with Yamashield is worth doing if used in fresh water. My motor and boat are stored in my home garage. I only use this motor in fresh water and used this spray once a year since buying the motor new two years ago. I spray it below the belts and air intakes. Do you guys use this in freshwater?? Thanks.

Given how you use/store the boat, it's not really a necessity. However, it's not like using it is going to be "bad", you know? The only thing that can happen is that you help to thwart corrosion - even though it probably isn't needed, I can't see how using it would be do anything but possibly help. I use Boeshield, but am in salt - I assume Boeshield is similar.
    2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
    1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

I use LPS 2 however my water can be brackish or salt(depends on how much fresh water is dumped from Lake Okeechobee, Fl) .

The powerhead looks brand new (2006 model), so IMO, worth the $ to keep corrosion down, especially with all the electrical under the cowl..

Scott
      1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Dennis....thanks for the response. I think that Boeshield is a Boeing product and it's ideal for salt water use. I think the Yamasheild is something Yamaha tried to replicate and called it that name.

Comment

Thanks for the tip TownsendsFJR1300!. I guess it's worth applying it at the end of the season. Fresh water is my only option.

Comment

Originally posted by byron.akhavi@gmail.com View Post
            Dennis....thanks for the response. I think that Boeshield is a Boeing product and it's ideal for salt water use. I think the Yamasheild is something Yamaha tried to replicate and called it that name.
            Yes, you are correct, Byron. It was developed by the Boeing company - excellent stuff (whether salt or fresh water). And, yeah, I'm pretty sure it's been around longer than Yamashield! I don't doubt the Yamashield is a fine product, though. Won't hurt anything to apply it more than once a year, either.
            2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
            1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

Working...
            X