Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yamaha Vmax 150 powertrim troubleshooting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha Vmax 150 powertrim troubleshooting?

Hello all,
    Im new to boating and need some help .

early spring Last year I bought a 2003 wellcraft 180 sportsman.
    Its powered by a Yamaha 150 Vmax V150TLRB.

Just before the season ended I had tilt problems, when it
    was winerized I had the mechanics look at it. According to the shop to left of the fill plug there
    was a screw that the threads were coroded and hydrolic fluid was leaking out. As they just
    also surprised me with a "your lower end is shot" news I couldn't afford any more
    repairs and said guys, there isn't something that you can do? Few weeks later I picked up
    the boat with the new lower and they said they drilled the threads out, re-taped it and put a bigger plug in...

1st time out this season The trim wont lift the engine. I pulled the boat
    out , and looks like there was plenty of fluid. Hitting the trim switch, the
    trim motor runs, but just doesn't develop enough power to lift the motor

Any suggestions on what parts may have went ? could the filings from the mechanic
    drilling, and tapping have screwed something up?

lastly, where is a good place to find the parts ??

Thanks so much in advance! !

Purchasing parts is as close as this page. Look above to the right side, in RED, "Purchase Yamaha Parts".

I'd be knocking on the mechainics door myself...
    Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Thanks for that, but its what part might
      it be? Im reasonably mechanicaly inclined but havent ever workd on anything boating related before. Plus I just dont see from the pdf parts diagrams what I need to zero in on.. I know enough to always get advice from seasoned mechanics beforehand...
      Last edited by Newboatingdude; 05-24-2015, 05:28 PM.

Comment

Here's the parts fisch for the hydralics for your T&T;

2003 V150TLRB Yamaha Outboard POWER TRIM TILT ASSY 1 Diagram and Parts

What the specific issue is with you unit, I have no idea.

If they re-tapped the threads and have a tight seal it should work. Wether they dropped filings inside the fluid, IDK.

Some of the T&T units are very complicated, some, not so much. I've never been inside one, so someone else will have to chime in.

As stated earlier, I would speak with the mechanic if he charged you to fix it, ask him exactly what he did and why doesn't it work??
        Scott

Comment

I am thinking someone doesn't know the difference between LOWER UNIT and TRIM.

no EXTERNAL threads on that TRIM unit.

but hay, lets blame the mechanic cause they took my money and something don't work.

Comment

External threads he didn't say that? He said they drilled them out, can't do that with external threads.
            Before spending money on parts check:
            Battery voltage/charge and connections.
            2. check fluid again, although you said OK, could still have some leaked out whilst sitting there.

Comment

I should have asked how do you know oil level OK. Hard to see into plug hole. I tend to fully raise the engine, open plug and squirt the right hydraulic oil in until it obviously is coming straight out again, you'll be surprized how much you need. I'm assuming motor is somewhat slipping(gasping for oil) somewhere in its travel - does it make intermittent squishing noises detectable above it's whine? that's how you can tell. Might still go up slowly with not quite enough oil. Too low of course motor sounds like freewheeling and the rams do not move.

Comment

ZENO Thanks for responding to rod for me, I probably wouldn't have been so nice ;-)

Anyway I think it was full because when I unscrewed the fill cap a ton of fluid came running out, I had to put my thumb over it so someone could get me a bunch of rags...

I did notice that the fluid looked slightly foamy, so hooked up a bottle of atv in an IV like fasion. I ran the pump up and down a few times while manually pulling or pushing the pistons, did it till there were no bubbles but it never got enough power to move completely on its own never mind lift the motor...

Tomorrow Ill post a pic of what was rethreaded, but it looks like #3 in this parts diagram

As far as noise, there is no change in sound from up or down, just a consistent wine from the motor.

Kinda why i think sumthins up, no pressure, no noise change, slightly foamy, seams to be how ever the electric motor generates hydrolic pressure (which i cant see how it works from the parts diagram) is not doing its job..
                Last edited by Newboatingdude; 05-25-2015, 12:08 AM.

Comment

Bleed the system

Originally posted by Newboatingdude View Post
                  ZENO Thanks for responding to rod for me, I probably wouldn't have been so nice ;-)

Anyway I think it was full because when I unscrewed the fill cap a ton of fluid came running out, I had to put my thumb over it so someone could get me a bunch of rags...

I did notice that the fluid looked slightly foamy, so hooked up a bottle of atv in an IV like fasion. I ran the pump up and down a few times while manually pulling or pushing the pistons, did it till there were no bubbles but it never got enough power to move completely on its own never mind lift the motor...

Tomorrow Ill post a pic of what was rethreaded, but it looks like #3 in this parts diagram

As far as noise, there is no change in sound from up or down, just a consistent wine from the motor.

Kinda why i think sumthins up, no pressure, no noise change, slightly foamy, seams to be how ever the electric motor generates hydrolic pressure (which i cant see how it works from the parts diagram) is not doing its job..
                  I've tried a more lengthy reply but lost it!

People will say system not bleed properly. I'll post more.

Comment

filling and bleeding

I wonder if the thread redone might have been the release screw on the left outside bracket? will see in your picture.
                    Be careful opening filler after pumping.
                    At first I thought you were manually pumping the lower short silver rods (rams)? Or have you undone the big centre ram? You must have been able to raise this engine to do this.
                    That screw must be tight for the T/T to do anything. The symptoms described indicates the system not bled properly or this screw is in disengaged position. (foam, spewing out fluid)
                    You will need to have engine completely raised, this screw then tightened and the filler plug open. Fill, tighten the plug and then down with switch (down of course first can be assisted by engine weight or yourself, up again hopefully then check fluid again, top up fluid, close plug.
                    This needs to be repeated until everything normal. You may have to push the small rams in first if they have not retracted. The release screw doesn't always work because the valve behind it may be stuck. This is a pain when this happens, nothing worse than a stuck down engine

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
                      I am thinking someone doesn't know the difference between LOWER UNIT and TRIM.

no EXTERNAL threads on that TRIM unit.

but hay, lets blame the mechanic cause they took my money and something don't work.
                      Where part #3, a plug, screws in is not threaded and cannot be re-threaded???? It would be INTERNAL threads in any case. And if enough material, why couldn't it be re-threaded???)

(Wouldn't be the first time a mechanic screwed up-I got brand new throttle bodies for my lowish idle on my F150!!!)

And I stand by asking the mechainic exactly what was done.

Wether there was a screw up or not, IDK. No one here knows what EXACTLY was done. The OP needs to take some notes

Re checking the fluid, the engine needs to be trimmed FULLY UP and set on the mechanical support arms. All the rams extended... Then pull the fluid check plug and top off.. This procedure should be in your owners manual..
                      Scott

Comment

From what I read so far it sounds like they replaced the lower unit and tried to repair the leaky T&T.
                        2 separate things they worked on

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                          From what I read so far it sounds like they replaced the lower unit and tried to repair the leaky T&T.
                          2 separate things they worked on
                          That's what I thought BUT I'm thinking NOW, the LU drain plug was stripped(thus the water intrusion) easier and more likely to be stripped...

For the OP, can you please clarify what is the issue

with the LU

And the T&T
                          Scott

Comment

the original issue end of season last year trim wouldn't lift engjne. I filled and blead,
                            only lasted 2 weeks. shop found corroded threads. drilled out threads, re tapped and plugged with bigger nut. 1st day out this season started fine, but by end of day no power trim again...

So i pulled the unit, degreased it and refilled, and blead the thing.
                            As in was manually pushing the large ram in, i could see bubbles coming up from around the seal... as it still had a tonn of air, i kept going bleeding it out looks like there is zero air now,
                            no more bubbles and now the power trim works perfectly. ...

so i have no clue as to why it worked for a few hours and quit. maybe the seal around the main ram needs replacement...

Comment

here is a pic of the plug i originally questioned
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X