Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• boscoe99
    replied
    Studies have been done and show time and time again that an experienced mechanic can come no where close to properly torquing a fastener. More than likely it will be over tightened.

Use of a calibrated torque wrench on air craft is mandated. So much so that the wrench has to be recertified each year. Fail to use one, or fail to use a calibrated one, and you can lose your job.

Is this a manly thing? Like not getting vaccinated?

Leave a comment:

• DennisG01
    replied
    Absolutely, to the above. I like the "commonsenseometer" And, yes, TW's should be calibrated - never assume they are correct when you first buy them.

Leave a comment:

• oldmako69
    replied
    I hardly ever use a TW. 45 years of wrenching and my wrist is calibrated just about right. Head bolts? Sure. Most other stuff, nah. How accurate is your TW? As a **** I was working on a buddy's old Porsche. I was installing the half shafts using the TW he set up for me. SNAP.

Turns out the wrench was way off. I can't imagine why a lower unit bolt needs to be that closely monitored. Sure, they need to publish something but your commonsenseometer ought to compensate if you don't use one.

Leave a comment:

• DennisG01
    replied
    Yeah, just do it to "feel". I've never put a torque wrench on things like this. I know that sometimes bolts like this come with loctite (low strength like the 572) on them, but I've never purposefully put it on anode bolts. Granted the chance is slight, but I don't want to chance interrupting the electrical connection.

Leave a comment:

• TownsendsFJR1300
    replied
    Good and snug with NO loctite is fine.

20 lbs is fine, It's not going anywhere.

Leave a comment:

• byron.akhavi@gmail.com
    started a topic Question about lower unit bolt.

Question about lower unit bolt.

I have an F40LA and had an issue with the long bolt under the trim anode. It's a M8 x 65mm and my service manual states torque to 30 lb ft. This seems high but I tried it. The bolt snapped and I used a multi spline extractor and left hand drill bit to remove. I think the service manual is wrong and it should be 30 nm instead of lb. ft. I used Loctite 572 as per the manual and just torqued it to 20 lb. ft. based on a 30 nm spec? any thoughts since the M10 bolts call for 30lb ft. and this seems like a high torque spec. for an M8 x65mm bolt? Thanks.
Working...
X