Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broken Skeg Yamaha 8hp - need advice

Hi all.

I have Yamaha 8MSHZ (2 stroke, short shaft, 2001 ) with broken skeg. Want to fix it to have a protection for the propeller.

Looks like my options are either welding or skeg protector. Welding can cause overheating and another set of problems, and I can't find skeg protector for such small engine and also I'm not sure if I have enough skeg left for the screws.

I inclined towards the protector so far (if I can find one). What would be your opinion/advise?

I'm nearby Seattle, Washington - would appreciate contacts of a trusted welder or shop who can help me.

Thank you in advance!

It looks like the break is far enough away from the gear housing to have enough "meat" left and also to weld without taking the gears out. Talk with some local boat shops - they most likely will know someone in the area that does skeg welding - and that's the person that can give you a definitive answer.

I'm generally not a fan of skeg guards since they are harder (SS) than the aluminum gearcase and another strike coudl render the entire lower unit trash. They supply "break off" bolts to avoid that, but I can tell you that doesn't always work - I've seen this a number of times, actually.
    2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
    1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

I would be looking for a used lower unit.

the heat from welding will cause problems to o rings and other stuff, so I would think it will need to come apart ,welded and then put back together

Comment

I would find a small section of 3/8 inch aluminum plate, shape it to fit and have it welded on.....let the welder stop now and then to allow lower unit to cool some....maybe some wet rags around lower unit could help cool it during welding....then with a file and grinder, finish it to look as original as possible...then some Yamaha grey paint....good to go!

Comment

Actually, Robert, you can buy a skeg already "to shape" and they're not expensive. But the skeg shop will have (should have) plenty on hand.

Comment

have any of you welded aluminum before?
            it sucks heat quickly spreading it out everywhere and you need plenty to make the weld properly

Comment

That's why I would rely on the skeg repair shop to give the final word. They're the experts and I wouldn't think of trying to speak for them. All I know is that a good shop can do some amazing work.

Comment

Thank you everyone for your advices. I've decided to use it as is and look for a spare lower unit.

Comment

Originally posted by Routenop View Post
                  Thank you everyone for your advices. I've decided to use it as is and look for a spare lower unit.
                  But... did you talk with a repair shop? That's quite a big difference in cost to go from a repair to replacement (if it can be done, of course).

Comment

Working...
                  X