Control cable measurement ,installation and adjustment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Control cable measurement ,installation and adjustment

Just picked up a used 2011 t60 to re-power my 17' Alii Kai. It came with a 703 control but the cables are too short for my boat. Have heard take meas. from control box to transom down the gunwale ,gunwale to centerline of motor @ transom,and transom to motor, then add 4 feet for cable length. Is that correct ? The existing (short) cables are disconnected from the motor and without ends . Would like to know the procedure for installing the new cables and the correct adjustment. Old cables are Volvo Penta Exact, grey throttle and black shift. I have the Control schematic from Boats.net to order the neccessary parts on the motor side. Are Teleflex Extreme cables the best bang for yer buck? Thanks

How to Measure Teleflex Control Cables

Teleflex Extreme are good cables. Equivalent to Yamaha branded cables that are made by Teleflex for Yamaha. Whichever you can get for the best price is what I would go for.

2015_Yamaha_MRP

Comment

teleflex extreme cables

blows away yammy cables

Comment

Thanks guys ! So when the new cables arrive, I just slap on the new ends, fasten them to the control box and motor,take up the slack ,and we're good to go.....right? Any other adjustments or tolerances apply here ?

Comment

Cables

The routing and adjustment is very,very important...its not a bicycle cable...

Comment

Originally posted by bajakeith View Post
            blows away yammy cables
            Strange that a Teleflex cable will blow away a Yam cable when the Yam cables are made by Teleflex.

So, a Teleflex Extreme cable is great. But, a Teleflex Extreme cable with the Yamaha brand on it is not so great. Strange. I wonder why the branding is ruining the cable.

Comment

Ok,so can you give me the low down on how to adjust those puppies properly or possibly connect me with a link on how to ? Thanks bajakeith

Comment

cable adjustment

depending on the motor..put control in N,, the motor end in N adjust the cable end so it slides over the boss,,tempary put cotter pin in... run thru F/N/R then back to N,, spin prop...no clicks or any noise. then close throttle on motor and control in N and slide end over boss,,I/myself will turn throttle adj with a very slight preload towards idle stop.....easy to do but I cant type worth sh-t !! then put in F and the prop should solid lock up if you spin it backwards...

Comment

Thanks dude...once my parts arrive and I
                  I get around to wrenching,I'll let you know how it goes ! Much appreciated .

Comment

Installed cables and adjusted . Started motor and it idles at 700rpm on muffs. Sound about right ? When I raise the throttle lever to increase rpm, there's no increase until the lever is about 45 degrees from horizontal. Do I need to take some slack out of that cable ? Thanks everyone for all the expert advice !

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
                      Strange that a Teleflex cable will blow away a Yam cable when the Yam cables are made by Teleflex.

So, a Teleflex Extreme cable is great. But, a Teleflex Extreme cable with the Yamaha brand on it is not so great. Strange. I wonder why the branding is ruining the cable.
                      This came up before: it is the extra two letters stamped that "Teleflex" has as opposed to "Yamaha" that weakens the cable

Comment

Originally posted by b.quick8 View Post
                        Installed cables and adjusted . Started motor and it idles at 700rpm on muffs. Sound about right ? When I raise the throttle lever to increase rpm, there's no increase until the lever is about 45 degrees from horizontal. Do I need to take some slack out of that cable ? Thanks everyone for all the expert advice !
                        If yours is like mine, as the lever moves the gear engages first and then the motor throttles up. I'm thinking this allows nudging the boat along and back and forth in idle. I expect adjusting the ends until you're happy will do.

Comment

Working...
                        X