Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

97 Vmax 150 - mechanic replaced the thermostats and water pump, still overheating!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It might be as simple as not enough water pressure from your hose, try it at the ramp fist (with thermostats in) and see how it pumps.

Comment

Sorry you mean try taking it to the RAMP first?
      Originally posted by ausnoelm View Post
      It might be as simple as not enough water pressure from your hose, try it at the ramp fist (with thermostats in) and see how it pumps.

Comment

Originally posted by aphextwin View Post
        Well, I tried to simulate the lake before I went out. I put ear muffs on and submerged the propeller exhaust. Exposed the thermostat covers and it went up to 130 F on both sides......no water coming out of the covers at all except smoke and no tell tale either. The back pressure on exhaust is causing it not to push water out? BTW I did re-read the notes and he had run the boat on hose with ear muffs. So at this point I am baffled....
        1. Mechanic runs it with hose - water tell tale but no water to t-stat covers
        2. I run it with hose - water tell tale but water flow to the t-stat covers no overheat steady at 110F
        3. I run it with mufflers and submerged prop - no tell tale and heats to 130F

The next step is try the redlyme and if that doesn't work then take apart cooling jacket?

I am no mechanic by any means but this is telling that there is not enough water pressure going up to the engine and maybe mechanic is right? the bottle neck is the tubing? What do you guys think?

The next step is try the redlyme? Taking apart the cooling jacket won't matter since water isn't even getting there right? Should I check the Poppitt Valve and expose it to see if water is getting there?

Another thing I read is maybe I take the leg aprt again.

"After dropping the lower unit again, I got the motor in a position where i could look thru the water tube to the head of the motor - AHA, there it was, pushed up the water tube a few inches was a rubber grommet." I could check to see if there is any debris blocking it? Should I go try that?

I was also thinking the Poppitt valve but from my understanding, a bad valve is when you are gearing up and it overheats. In this case I am idling and it's overheating.
        there should not be anything inside the water tube heading up to the power head from the water pump.
        not sure what you are calling a rubber grommet inside there.

PRV when stuck open dumps too much water at low RPMs to keep the block filled so it overheats

Comment

When I quoted that was somebody else on a different forum that figured they were overheating because they had debris in their shaft.

Ah okay so that could be something to try the PRV.

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post

there should not be anything inside the water tube heading up to the power head from the water pump.
          not sure what you are calling a rubber grommet inside there.

PRV when stuck open dumps too much water at low RPMs to keep the block filled so it overheats

Comment

Eureka, my god you are right. I adjusted the muffler and now it's pushing water even with the prop in the water. You guys are awesome. We will head to the lake to do the hopefully final test.

Comment

Originally posted by aphextwin View Post
              Eureka, my god you are right. I adjusted the muffler and now it's pushing water even with the prop in the water. You guys are awesome. We will head to the lake to do the hopefully final test.
              I have no idea how you adjusted the muffler of what you are calling the muffler

Comment

We still don't know if a full genuine water pump kit was used, or just an impeller, or even worse, a cheap after market impeller! but try it in the water first, that's the true test.

Comment

sorry ugh ear muffs.

99yam40...thank you again for being so response the last day...you and everyone here are amazing guys.

I have no idea how you adjusted the muffler of what you are calling the muffler

Comment

Sorry, okay I looked at the invoice. It's part number 18-3395 Water Pump Kit and 18-9659 Syn Gear Oil...I googled and it's SIerra...so definitely not OEM....should I be replacing that with Yammy asap....even the gear oil isn't Yammylube...that's an easy one so I will do that if the boat test works out.

We still don't know if a full genuine water pump kit was used, or just an impeller, or even worse, a cheap after market impeller! but try it in the water first, that's the true test.

Comment

Check the PRV and then water test to see if it still overheats
                      after market pumps should work if they are the correct ones for the motor, but how do you know that for sure.
                      Last edited by 99yam40; 05-29-2021, 06:28 PM.

Comment

Okay, so looking at this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AujYWSjIOg

I just take the hose off the PRV, run idle and ensure no water is going out of the Poppitt right?

Check the PRV and then water test to see if it still overheats
                        after market pumps should work if they are the correct ones for the motor, but how do you know that for sure.

Comment

I would take apart and inspect it and the passages to see what condition they are in.
                          I do not believe the old PRVs looked like that.
                          possibly the plastic valve would hang up in the grommet if the grommet swells up

I do not even see a hose in the video
                          Last edited by 99yam40; 05-29-2021, 06:55 PM.

Comment

okay I will do that with the inspection of the passages. Sorry when I said hose at the very end of the video he disconnected the hose:tube to the poppet. Ah okay I see what you are saying about the grommet and plastic valve. Thank you again!

I would take apart and inspect it and the passages to see what condition they are in.
                            I do not believe the old PRVs looked like that.
                            possibly the plastic valve would hang up in the grommet if the grommet swells up

I do not even see a hose in the video

Comment

I have found from personal experience (many times) that some after market parts are not worth the few dollars saved, water pumps especially, these days I will not fit, advise or help anyone fit an aftermarket water pump, some parts are OK, but, certain parts, no, not a chance.

Comment

sorry, I did not watch the whole video, so did not see the hose.
                                was that a HPDI motor in the video?

Comment

Working...
                                X