2002 2stroke 75 AET no spark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2002 2stroke 75 AET no spark

Hello, total newbie with boats, I have previous with motorbike engines but this is my latest learning experience.
    I inherited a 1990 Bayliner speedboat that has been parked up for 5 years. I was told the engine ran before this.
    I have changed the plugs, cleaned the carbs and used fresh fuel. I have fuel at the carbs but no spark. I think I have whittled the problem down to pulser coil or cdi unit, as these are both expensive where I've been looking, I'm wondering if anyone has had this issue or can tell me if these can be tested? Thanks in advance.

the service manual for your motor will have the specs and procedures.
    ohms and peak voltage reading

or do a web search for CDI electronics troubleshooting, they explain the system and should have specs for most motors
    you will need a special volt meter made for reading the peak voltages or get a adapter for a regular meter

the kill switch and key switch ground the voltage out of the CDI to stop the motor, so make sure to check that too

Comment

Thanks for this, I'll try this over the weekend.

Comment

99yam40 , brilliant! kill switch circuit , now sorted, name a charity and I'll make a donation, much appreciated.

Comment

exactly what did you find wrong,
          Wire or switch maybe
          it may help others looking for the same type of problem when searching and reading

Comment

Bad connection on the kill switch, disconnected the white wire and tested - engine worked ok.
            Traced wire back to the kill switch cleaning as I went along, reconnected wire to the cdi and retested, all good.

Comment

thanks
              but a bad connection would not let you kill the motor since the switch connects to ground to stop the spark
              if the wire was not chafed and grounded to something, it must have been the switch was not open properly, and was what was calling for the motor to not run

Comment

Working...
              X