Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PCV Part Number

1998 S115TLRW

Boats.net lists the PCV part# as 6G5-12416-00-00 and the photo for this part# does not resemble the PCV pictured in the schematic #22 (schematic taken from boats.net)
    Simyamaha lists the PCV part# as 60H-12416-00-00 and the photo for this part# looks exactly the same as above noted part# (top photo)
    Found a PCV kit on simyam...688-12416-00-00KIT....and the PCV photo looks exactly as it looks in the schematic

What gives here?

22.jpg

11.jpg
    Jason
    1998 S115TLRW + 1976 Aquasport 170

6G5-12416-00-00 has been replaced by 60H-12416-00-00
    Last edited by boscoe99; 05-17-2021, 09:59 PM.

Comment

Gotcha....the outdated PCV was installed by one end going inside the grommet towards power head and the spring slides over the other end. For my clarity, this newer version PCV the mushroom end just rests over top of the grommet? Sound right?
      Jason

Comment

What you're looking at here is #28....the PCV hose. As you can see, excessive corrosion in and around this hose and I'd like to replace it. But how do you get that far back to detach and reattach the distal end of this hose? I suppose you could take long handle pliers and wiggle it off/on...

222.jpg

Jason

Comment

Originally posted by Jason2tpa View Post
          Gotcha....the outdated PCV was installed by one end going inside the grommet towards power head and the spring slides over the other end. For my clarity, this newer version PCV the mushroom end just rests over top of the grommet? Sound right?
          Somewhat confusing. In early illustrations for the new style valve Yamaha showed the button head resting on the grommet. In the illustrations for the last four two stroke models offered here in the USA, they show the button head resting on the spring. The cross section part being down in the grommet.

One would think that a later change would be for a correction. But... My memory is too tired and worn to remember if Yamaha ever put out anything on this anomaly.

Comment

I would think the smaller end would fit into the spring keeping it centered and the smooth button sealing against the grommet would work well,

but then maybe the small end slides inside the grommet keeping it centered and does not move far enough away to come completely out of the grommet to cause it to get out of alignment.
            who really knows for sure.

I have no idea how to get to the other end of the hose without taking more stuff apart, or if that would even help

Comment

Upon further review, I am thinking that the later Yamaha data is the crap stuff.

The short end of the X section for the older PCV goes into the spring. If one can believe the Yamaha parts catalog.

If the X end of the updated PCV (same length as the short section of the older PCV) goes into the spring then the button head will rest on the grommet.

God I love Yamaha data.

Comment

I've never taken one apart to see the entire mechanism -
                but the 'modular' PCV for the 3.3L F motors
                uses the same design "x-section" on the actuating part
                as it passed through the center of the elastomeric seal

https://vimeo.com/manage/videos/294780454
                Last edited by fairdeal; 05-19-2021, 08:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by fairdeal View Post
                  I've never taken one apart to see the entire mechanism
                  That is unlike you.

Comment

thinking back some, what was the problem of the PCV sticking?
                    was it the grommet swelling and grabbing the X shaped protrusion going into it , not letting the PCV close off?
                    if so the smooth rounded end sealing against the grommet would make sense to fix that

Comment

I don't recall there being a problem with the PCV sticking.

But if there was a problem, and that problem was the X section sticking within the grommet, I can see where the new style would mitigate that problem.

Now, was it sticking open or sticking closed?

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
                        I don't recall there being a problem with the PCV sticking.

But if there was a problem, and that problem was the X section sticking within the grommet, I can see where the new style would mitigate that problem.

Now, was it sticking open or sticking closed?
                        usually open ,which would cause the block to not stay completely full at low RPM and overheat on the top due to no cooling water up there

Comment

Rodbolt, many years ago, said the new style wasn't good (as I purchased one with a t-stat).

I ended up putting the original back in...

Scott
                          1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Per simyamaha:

Part # 60H-12416-00-00KIT
                            Superseded from Part # 6G5-12416-00-00
                            New style pressure valve. Replaces all previous. When installing, the mushroom-round end gets installed in towards the powerhead. The spring gets installed on the cross end of the valve.

I hope the above noted is correct because that’s how I installed it this afternoon lol. I was able to work off the distal end of the hose. It was so caked up with white corrosion dust. Btw, what prompted me to change out the PCV was an overheat alarm I got only when hitting 5K rpms. Very rare I throttle up that high...can’t even recall the last time I did. But it is the 1st time this motor has ever reached an overheat temp. The water pump and stats are 6 months new but I had never changed the PCV since owning the motor. Not sure if it was the cause of overheat, but I guess I’ll find out once this wind lays down.
                            Jason

Comment

PCV does not cause a high RPM over heat.
                              at least I have never heard of it happening.
                              not sure how it could

high RPM means burning more fuel which in turn creates more heat.
                              not enough cooling water getting to some parts probably
                              Last edited by 99yam40; 05-19-2021, 09:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X