2006 Yamaha F150 TXR, new question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2006 Yamaha F150 TXR, new question

First, thanks for all the help this group provided to help me understand and resolve the oil pressure/leak issue I was having. I have finally resolved "that" problem and have great oil pressure but now I have a knock at low RPMs (from Idle up to about 2400 RPMs), then it quietens down. While I was trying to figure out this oil pressure/oil leak problem, I got the low pressure alarm and had to shut the engine down a few times but never let it run more than 5 seconds.
    The problems I found were, a damaged main seal at the bottom of the power head, and a damaged oil pump. I replaced the pump, main seal, and installed a speedi sleeve on the output shaft.

Now there is great oil pressure (installed a gauge at the oil pressure sensor so I Can see it)... there are zero oil leaks and everything sounded perfect when I ran it on the water, for about a minute, then it started knocking at RPMs. It sounds like someone is lightly tapping on the harmonic balancer with a hammer from the inside. So I'm guessing its self inflicted heat/friction damage, due to lack of lubrication that has caused something to fail/partially fail.

I know I am going to have to get in there and look. Just thought the experts may be able to tell me what to expect to need to repair/replace and, or what to look for when I get in there. What are the likely suspects?

If you suspect the balancer, I would not run the engine anymore! It’s easy to take off and check. They have done a few design changes on the balancer over the years. Do a search for the balancer people describe the sound differently. You don’t want the plastic from the gears getting into the oil system after just getting it repaired.

Comment

Thank you Bluefish. Yep, I actually just replaced the harmonic balancer, oil pump, seals and went through the process of cleaning out the entire system. Yuck and you are right, I dont want to lost and new parts if I can avoid it!. Ill pull the HB and have a look.

Comment

Working...
      X