is 5500 RPM too low?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is 5500 RPM too low?

I have a parker 2120 pilot house, originally had a 15x17p 3 blade stainless prop, WOT 6k to 6.2k top speed 42mph

switched to a 14.5x15p 4 blade stainless I lost about I'm now getting WOT of 5500 to 5600rpm top speed at about 35-36mph.

13.5" 15p 4 blade would get me back to 6k RPM. Sounds about right?

What engine?
    Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Sorry, it's a 2005 F200

Comment

You should not have LOST RPM by going to a 15". You should have increased RPM. Something else is going on - whether it's a mechanical issue or possibly user error. What you could do, based on your initial findings is to go to a 15x19". That should get you just shy of 6K.
        2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
        1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

Originally posted by DennisG01 View Post
          You should not have LOST RPM by going to a 15". You should have increased RPM. Something else is going on - whether it's a mechanical issue or possibly user error. What you could do, based on your initial findings is to go to a 15x19". That should get you just shy of 6K.
          lost RPM because I went from a 3 blade toa 4 blade

Here's my comparison

original 3 blade SS 15x17p
          WOT @ 6k RPM 42mph

4 blade 14.5x15p
          WOT @ 5500 RPM @ 36 mph

I believe the F200 WOT should be between 5000-6000

I'm wondering if there is a benefit if I can find a balance prop that will get me back up to 6k RPM wot. will I gain anything or am I already at the sweet spot for a 4 blade prop with this motor.

Comment

Originally posted by DennisG01 View Post
            he went from a 3 blade prop to a 4 blade.
            extra blade does make a difference

OP why did you not like the original prop?
            Last edited by 99yam40; 05-14-2021, 02:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post

he went from a 3 blade prop to a 4 blade.
              extra blade does make a difference

OP why did you not like the original prop?
              The prop was fine when I had no load and just me and one other person and calm days.

When I'm fully loaded with four guys in 5ft seas, there was a lot of spinning of the props but barely any moving of the boat when I'm trying to climb those waves.

The 14.5x15 perform very nicely yesterday the only thing is that it's not reaching 6,000 RPM. I was cruising at 27 mph at 4500 RPM getting approximately two and a half miles per gallon.

I guess I'm fine with this prop but if I can make it any better I'm all ears

Comment

Originally posted by Cheapie408 View Post

The prop was fine when I had no load and just me and one other person and calm days.

When I'm fully loaded with four guys in 5ft seas, there was a lot of spinning of the props but barely any moving of the boat when I'm trying to climb those waves.

The 14.5x15 perform very nicely yesterday the only thing is that it's not reaching 6,000 RPM. I was cruising at 27 mph at 4500 RPM getting approximately two and a half miles per gallon.

I guess I'm fine with this prop but if I can make it any better I'm all ears
                did you run the new prop with the light and heavy loads to see how it performs with both?
                may need to swap props depending on how you plan to run the boat.
                switching from 3 to four blade is not always easy to figure out

Comment

Yes.

Over propping that motor will make it feel like a dog. With all due respects to my Boscoe boy.

Comment

lost RPM because I went from a 3 blade toa 4 blade

Here's my comparison

original 3 blade SS 15x17p
                    WOT @ 6k RPM 42mph

4 blade 14.5x15p
                    WOT @ 5500 RPM @ 36 mph

I believe the F200 WOT should be between 5000-6000

I'm wondering if there is a benefit if I can find a balance prop that will get me back up to 6k RPM wot. will I gain anything or am I already at the sweet spot for a 4 blade prop with this motor.
                    Nope. You need to be at or near 6000 RPM. WOT. Boat loaded. Motor trimmed up just to the point of best mileage for your cruise RPM.

Comment

What does the motor manual say for max HP and max RPM?h

Comment

I missed the part where you wrote you went to a 4-blade. Typically, though, you drop 1" of pitch when you go from 3-blade to 4-blade and that keeps about the same WOT RPM. But you went down 2" and STILL lost 600RPM. Assuming all other variables remained the same, that's a very significant difference. I suppose the smaller diameter had something to do with it, too - but still... 600 RPM? I guess another factor is the brand/style of prop.

I've read A LOT of good things about Ken at Prop Gods - you may want to reach out to him. He certainly knows more than me.
                        2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
                        1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

So this is straight out of the manual. So according to that, then I am in range correct?

Yamaha F200 WOT.jpg

Comment

When changing brands and models and types of propellers all bets are off with respect to what the outcome will be. Too many variables.

Comment

So this is straight out of the manual. So according to that, then I am in range correct?
                              Yes. In the range. The range for mediocrity .

Comment

Working...
                              X