Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Starting older Mariner (Yamaha) without key?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting older Mariner (Yamaha) without key?

New here hoping to find a solution for a motor I recently picked up as a project.

I have a Japanese manufactured Mariner 25hp, made by Yamaha.. I'm not sure of the exact year, but am fairly sure it's early 80's. It's a model 25E, serial number 695-S-251448.

The problem I have is that it did not come with the remote key switch panel. It's a Tiller, but has a harness with a 7-pin plug coming out of it. There is no spark, I presume because the circuitry in the harness requires the key panel(?). Is there a way to get spark and start this motor by jumpering one or more wires?

Wire colors going to the plug are:
    Red
    Black
    White
    Pink
    Blue
    Brown
    Green

outboards use a switches to ground the spark to kill the motor (key and man overboard)

Is this a electric start motor or just a manual rope start?
    maybe the kill switch on motor or the wiring is bad if this is a tiller model.

but then the motors spark producing components could be bad.

Comment

[QUOTE=Doc2bmrd;n230571]New here hoping to find a solution for a motor I recently picked up as a project.

I have a Japanese manufactured Mariner 25hp, made by Yamaha.. I'm not sure of the exact year, but am fairly sure it's early 80's. It's a model 25E, serial number 695-S-251448.

The problem I have is that it did not come with the remote key switch panel. It's a Tiller, but has a harness with a 7-pin plug coming out of it. There is no spark, I presume because the circuitry in the harness requires the key panel(?). Is there a way to get spark and start this motor by jumpering one or more wires?

Wire colors going to the plug are:
      Red Battery power
      Black Ground
      White Kill circuit
      Pink Warning circuit
      Blue Choke circuit
      Brown Starter motor relay circuit
      Green Tachometer signal circuit
      /QUOTE]

Looks to be a 1992 model year motor by my best guess.

Could be a tiller model that was converted to remote control. Or could be a remote control model from the git go.

Does it have electric start?

If the motor has electric start take a look at a Yamaha US 25ELHQ model. If no electric start take a look at a US 25MLHQ model.

Assuming it is electric start then jumper the red wire to the yellow wire. Then jumper the brown wire momentarily to the red wire. To stop the motor jumper the white wire to the black wire.

Comment

It is an electric start, but it also has rope start. I've seen this same motor in a video with a key switch on the front of the motor, but this one apparently had a remote panel.

There are no yellow wires anywhere on the motor.

The more I've looked at it, I'm wondering if the missing key panel is the cause of the no spark condition after all. I've gathered that the white wire is the kill circuit, and it is not connected to anything (I've unplugged it at the CDI too). Starting to wonder if it may have a bad coil or CDI causing no spark.

Comment

most motors will start just by pulling the rope, but you have to have a way to turn them off.
          a lot of old tiller models had a push button to start and another push button to kill the motor.
          testing the charge and pulser coils output peak voltages into the CDI and then the out put from CDI to the ignition coils should tell what is having a problem

Comment

Did you go to the parts catalogs for the two models I mentioned and take a look?

In about 99% of capacitive discharge motors yellow battery power is not required to start or run the motor.

No yellow wire on that model apparently.

Kill switch open. Jumper brown to red to energize the starter motor relay.
            Last edited by boscoe99; 05-14-2021, 02:57 PM.

Comment

Question. Do you have an understanding as to how that model operates? You need that understanding before you start jumpering wires and such.

Comment

This could very well be the wiring for your motor.

Comment

I picked up a Clymer Yamaha manual ... and the wiring diagram for a 25E SN/LN is correct for this motor. There is a single pulser coil, with a white/red wire. I'm thinking the pulser coil might be bad. I'm getting 104 ohms on it, and the manual says it should be 14 (±10%).
                  Last edited by Doc2bmrd; 05-21-2021, 12:48 AM.

Comment

I do not trust ohm readings that much, peak voltages are a better test

Comment

Working...
                    X