Sealant on head cover gasket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sealant on head cover gasket

Hi - I recently had the head cover plate off my 4hp 6e0 to fix a cooling issue. Unfortunately the plate itself turned out to be very corroded and pitted. I put it back together with a new gasket, but it's developed a leak. I'm in the UK, and a new plate is about £50 (compared to about $10 in the US by the looks of things).

What do people think about using an auto silicone sealant on the gasket to help fill the gaps? Any help much appreciated.

Thanks!

Maybe you could carefully fill each pit with JB Weld and then level the surface with a flat file....new gasket and you should be good to go!.....

Comment

This works great for problem surfaces Sealants Sealants | Gaskets & Packing for Industrial & ************** Applications | Gore

Comment

Does that area get too hot for sealant, like a head cover would in a larger engine?

The plate is only part that is bad? The mounting surface is OK, it sounds like? Is the metal thick enough that you could wet sand it? Put sandpaper on a piece of glass and move the cover around in a figure 8 pattern.
        2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
        1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

Originally posted by DennisG01 View Post
          Does that area get too hot for sealant, like a head cover would in a larger engine?

The plate is only part that is bad? The mounting surface is OK, it sounds like? Is the metal thick enough that you could wet sand it? Put sandpaper on a piece of glass and move the cover around in a figure 8 pattern.
          I have done that with heads before

Comment

Working...
          X