Water pooled in air intake and lower throttle bodies?? F200TXRC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water pooled in air intake and lower throttle bodies?? F200TXRC

This is beyond all possible explanations that I can come up with, so hopefully somebody else has some ideas. My boat sat outside over the winter and I just pulled it out to do an oil change for the summer. When I pulled the air intake assembly off of the throttle bodies, about a quart of fresh water dumped out of both of the lower throttle bodies. There was also a good bit of water that was sitting in the bottom of the air intake assembly. I don't know how it's even possible that water got there over the winter, but alas, there it was. Cowling was on and there weren't any floods! Luckily I had not tried starting the engine at all yet. I've sprayed a bunch of fogging oil into the cylinders, and with the spark plugs out, I've turned the engine over to shoot as much out of the cylinders as possible. I'm not sure water even got into the cylinders, possible it just pooled in the intake/throttle bodies? Beyond any ideas on how this happened, I'm wondering what my next step should be? Appreciate any help!

The first - only - thing that comes to mind
    is a problem with the interior of the cowling -
    the inner "ceiling" of the engine top cowling -
    and its water separator/drain system.

It has to let air in through that back 'scoop'
    but water is supposed to be separated
    and drained away through rubber hoses.

Comment

I can't really think of anything, else. I mean, what else could it be other than a pesky neighbor that doesn't like you

I guess just give the cowling a good goings over - maybe you'll even find a telltale staining of where/how the water got in. I've never looked closely enough at the drains/rubber hoses that Fairdeal mentioned, but that obviously seems like a good place to start - looking for clogs in the drain hoses... small leaves, etc.
      2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
      1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

Originally posted by DennisG01 View Post
        I can't really think of anything, else. I mean, what else could it be other than a pesky neighbor that doesn't like you

I guess just give the cowling a good goings over - maybe you'll even find a telltale staining of where/how the water got in. I've never looked closely enough at the drains/rubber hoses that Fairdeal mentioned, but that obviously seems like a good place to start - looking for clogs in the drain hoses... small leaves, etc.
        I looked over the cowling, and the water drainage is all in place correctly and had no blockages.

The sabotage idea crossed my mind too. I have no idea why anybody would sabotage it by putting water in the cylinders... that just seems like so much work for a person to do instead of just tearing stuff up if they were being malicious. I'm wondering if I should take it to the shop and go through insurance for it with this inexplicable possibility?

Aside from the reason though, I'd appreciate any feedback on what I should do now or check before attempting to start it.

Thanks!

Comment

If you already pulled spark plugs/fogged the shops just going to do that.

I'd check to make sure the fuel has no water and crank it up.

Scott
          1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

I would be changing the oil or at least check it for water.

is this motor run in fresh or saltwater?

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
              I would be changing the oil or at least check it for water.

is this motor run in fresh or saltwater?
              Changing the oil is how I happened upon the water. There was no water intrusion into the oil when I drained it. I run both salt and fresh.

I called my local shop today and they said at this point to just throw the spark plugs back in and see what happens. I decided to give it a go and it started up and sounded normal. I did find that it wasn't pumping water, so I'm taking the lower unit off next and I'm gong to do a compression test. The mystery of how the water got there remains though. I'd really like to come up with an explanation, so that this doesn't repeat itself.

Comment

did you run it with the cowling off to see if water was leaking into the lower cowling where is might get sucked into the intake if it got high enough?

Comment

did you run it with the cowling off to see if water was leaking into the lower cowling where is might get sucked into the intake if it got high enough?
                  No water was pumping when I ran it (will look at the impeller next), but I did hook the hose up to the flush port and there were no leaks anywhere to be seen with the cowling off.

Comment

I was just saying if the tell tail was not indicating water flow, it could have been dumping into the lower cowling instead of coming out where is should have been coming out
                    tell tails get pugged up all of the time., does not mean the pump is not pumping water
                    compressed air shot up it can move things around to clear it sometimes
                    Last edited by 99yam40; 05-08-2021, 10:05 PM.

Comment

I was just saying if the tell tail was not indicating water flow, it could have been dumping into the lower cowling instead of coming out where is should have been coming out
                      tell tails get pugged up all of the time., does not mean the pump is not pumping water
                      compressed air shot up it can move things around to clear it sometimes
                      Tell tail is clear. It pees when hooked to the flush port, but not on the muffs.

Comment

different paths of water flow when coming from pump is what I believe

Comment

Working...
                        X