Flushing System Lines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flushing System Lines

Hi folks, I recently purchased a used 2009 Yamaha 150hP Outboard. It had already been removed and pallated prior to my picking it up, so I don't know how it was connected or disconnected. See attached photos... The water line from the flush system has a brass fitting that divides the water flow back into the engine, and to another port which has no hose attached. Water flows out of this when connected to hose. I am assuming it was connected somewhere via another hose at one time, but I cannot seem to locate any manuals, diagrams, or set-up guides which show it. Anyone know what this would be for? and if it is supposed to feed water somewhere, where? I am only concerned that this is also connected to the motor's intake and cooling system, and running without the connection would cause damage. Thanks for any help...

Looking at my 06 F150, seems someone added that brass fitting to yours, it is not stock.
    Looks like it was spliced into the existing line which wouldn't have it there.

As long as it's flowing water and not leaking/drawing air, I suspect it'd be fine.

Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

As Scott observes, what you have there is a non-Yamaha modification;

I'm guessing the previous owner wanted to have a cooling water pressure gauge,
      and so cut into that tube and installed that brass fitting;
      then there was tubing that ran up to a gauge on the helm.

You'll want to plug/cap off that opening,
      or you'll have water shooting inside the cowling.

It looks like a standard "1/4" compression fitting"
      you should be able to buy a little brass cap at a hardware store
      or Home Depot.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt...176287#overlay

Comment

This is how Yamaha expects it to be:

Comment

Thanks guys... this is awesome.

Comment

So, just for curiosity sake, I wonder what that was used for? The reason I ask is that (1) it doesn't appear to be threaded and (2) it's facing aft. I would kinda expect (assume?) that if one used that fitting to route a water hose to the helm that they would have faced it forward for a more direct route to the rigging tube. Of course, it's not like it's "hard" to route it around the back side, either.

It looks like a "quick connect" type fitting.

Like the others said, it's not needed - a bronze barb connector would work, too. But I do wonder what it is for... granted, any discussion will just be theory so maybe not worthwhile.
            2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
            1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

Working...
            X